Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I drop into the Linux Forums chat room from time to time in the evening (GMT) and it's like a morgue there. There's a few nicks listed and occasionally someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy What's with the chatroom?

I drop into the Linux Forums chat room from time to time in the evening (GMT) and it's like a morgue there. There's a few nicks listed and occasionally someone joins or leaves but no-one says anything. That's not a community! This is a community.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, hazel... I've never have been much of an IRC'er, myself, but I think that a few members stay logged in there pretty much at all times, so they may, or may not be at their machines when you see them logged in. Others are probably logging in, seeing very little if any activity, and then moving on. That's my best guess as to why it appears the way it does, but maybe someone will post a correction if it's that way for some other reason.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

Linux Guru
    Maybe holidays are tying up folks time lately. Just a guess.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Community Leader
    hazel, it's a growing community. If we decide it goes no where, maybe we'll remove it... otherwise, it's still growing.

I drop on a few times a week and try to get a chat going but it can be hard work sometimes!

It usually has a bit of life on the weekend, Saturday afternoons-evenings (GMT) and Sunday evening. Being the jabbermouth I am you can rest assured that I won't give you the silent treatment

Well, that Newsletter they sent out seemed to be encouraging people to go there, which is why I went. But I'll take your advice, Big Tom, and try weekends.

Perhaps if someone could set a few specific topics, people would feel they have more to say. Just a thought.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Community Leader
    hazel, hey, not a bad idea. I like that. Having different topics or meetings on certain topics... we'll discuss that more. Thank you!

I have actually got help from in there several times. MatthewG helped me with my sound, BigTomRodney helped me with..... something. haha Whatever it was, we got it working! And DapperDan helped me with IceWM. You'll see me in there a lot, too. I just haven't been in lately due to holidays. I'm always in there normally, as with the kubuntu and ubuntu channels. Helps me get answers much quicker.

Hey, I know what will get more people in there.... get Devils Casper to go in there!
    Linux user since: June 2007
    Current distro: kubuntu-14.04
    Specs: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    High five if you saw the linux computers 24 used on their CTU sets.

Linux Guru
    Tried to get into chat room, but both of my browsers seem to crash. The screen dims and locks up. I wonder since I am having this problem if it's keeping other people out of the chat room. I am not a experianced chat room user, in fact this would have been my first attempt.

I get the Java script run window and I got lucky once to where after the screen dimmed, it came back up, but all I had was connecting going for about 5 to 6 minutes and I got bored waiting for a connection so I logged out.

Anyways, that is what is keeping me out of there.

It don't happen often, but I do drop into the chat for LFO and for CRUX. I use a great plug-in for Firefox to do so: ChatZilla. Have you tried this one, roky?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast