Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I see many good answers from admins and mods to some new members' questions, and it sometimes is obvious that the good answers are WAY beyond the OP's comprehension. Occasionally ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

User experience/knowledge level in posts...

I see many good answers from admins and mods to some new members' questions, and it sometimes is obvious that the good answers are WAY beyond the OP's comprehension.

Occasionally they will let us know that; but MANY times they don't come back - or so it seems.

Perhaps in members' displayed info could be their level of experience - 1, 2, or 3, maybe 4 levels which might be made a part of registration. '1' for computer illiterate, don't know what a CLI is, ie, '2' for some CLI knowledge, or something along those lines.

Well there are Post count user rankings..
    On many forums i have seen 'best answer' or 'thanks' system. to show how much user is helpfull..

But there is so variance in Linux, and every user have its own point of view and methods. and i think every one who answers or try to help or discuss, does a great contribution to the community and our knowledge.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Linux Guru
    Well, there is a lot I still have to learn. But, my heart is in the right place.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Well, there is a lot I still have to learn. But, my heart is in the right place.
    You and me both, bro!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Same here ! Learning new things everyday !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

You make a good point but I don't think it would help much to have members rate themselves in proficiency. Some of the smartest members here would humbly rank themselves at a low level while others who know next to nothing will rank themselves highly. If other members do the ranking that can lead to trouble. The reason some don't come back is because they get their solution and never bother posting again to tell us. That happens a lot. Half the reason I try to help is to also learn. With Linux you never stop learning.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    Yep, I agree with Dapper Dan on all points.

This has always been a problem and there is no easy solution.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Half the reason I try to help is to also learn. With Linux you never stop learning.
    Cheers, Dan! I couldn't have said it better!
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Community Leader
    Hm, I do like the idea of a "thanks" system. I'll bring this up for moderator discussion... thanks buccaneere

I wasn't around for it, but I heard that a 'Thanks' type system was tried a while back. From what I read, I don't really think it really went over that well.
    Besides which, while you or I might give a quick 'thanks', most of the folks that pop in for some advice don't really stop in for the follow-up to let us know how it went.
    I don't think a 'Thank You' system is anything we really need here.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast