Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Mouse over ads are incredibly annoying!

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 90.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • I don't really care

1 10.00%
Are these mouse over, get in your face unwanted ads getting on anyone else's nerves?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Vibrant Ads

Are these mouse over, get in your face unwanted ads getting on anyone else's nerves?
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

Are you talking about the green ads that highlight random words and pop up ads when you mouse over them? I agree those are annoying. However I use Adblock Plus with Firefox so I rarely see any ads these days.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Indeed those are the very annoying, actually intrusive ads that I am referring to.

I have ad block plus on my computer, and agree that it does help alot with the this type of ad. Unfortunately I'm not always on my own computers....
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The folks that run the forum are always experimenting with things like different ways to display ads. Perhaps there's a less intrusive way to do this. I'll bring this thread to their attention. No promises, but we can at least get talking about it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Much appreciated Moe
    RHCE #100-015-395

Linux Enthusiast
    Well 9 out of 10 responses find the ad's really annoying.....
    RHCE #100-015-395

Community Leader
    matonb, without a doubt... everyone will say ads are annoying. After all, who actually LIKES ads. The reality is that this resource for Linux users needs some money to pay the monthly expenses for hardware, bandwidth, and other services. If you have any tips to help the site make money so we can reduce the ads, feel free to let me know. Otherwise, I am sensitive to this subject too and I'm trying to talk to the owners to see when "enough is enough."

Thanks for your feedback!

Linux Enthusiast
    I understand that sites like thses need revenue to pay for the expenses you mention.

Banner ads / side bars ok fine no problem, hey there is even the odd one that I'm interested in.

However these mouse over ads are simply intrusive. Popping up on your screen unbidden and usally getting in the way.

If I was walking down street and some bozo stuffed a bill board in my face because I walked on paving stone "x", I'd just punch him in the face.

I'm fairly sure that that kind of agressive and intrusive advertising is actaully illegal ( bozo on the street with bill board in your face ) in the uk.

Mind you punching someone in the face would also get you an assault charge
    RHCE #100-015-395