Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I am having the same problem in my account. I cannot edit many of my posts except for those which I post up very recently. ozar, can you please report ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

I am having the same problem in my account. I cannot edit many of my posts except for those which I post up very recently. ozar, can you please report my problem as well?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by usamamuneeb View Post
    ozar, can you please report my problem as well?
    Will do... thanks for letting us know.
    oz

Community Leader
    @usamamuneeb, thanks, we're still working on this one. Have you tried other browsers? Different computers? I'm still looking to narrow the problem down... definitely strange. Thanks

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieren View Post
    I'm not sure what the time limit is but yes, you can only edit posts for a while. I believe itís because the posts get archived
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    As with most forum software there is a limit on the age of posts you can edit. Here it seems to be about 1 day which is fairly generous compared to some.
    @MatthewGx, so the above two statements are actually not true? And yes, I tried both Firefox and Internet Explorer on Vista. The Edit button does not even appear.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by usamamuneeb View Post
    @MatthewGx, so the above two statements are actually not true? And yes, I tried both Firefox and Internet Explorer on Vista. The Edit button does not even appear.
    Well, I can edit posts up to about a day old (I suspect that it's exactly one day but haven't proved it ). Most forum software limits this - the one I maintain allows for 15 minutes

Now the question is intentional or "unexpected feature"?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Now the question is intentional or "unexpected feature"?
    If the forum software is set to not allow post edits at all after a certain period, I wasn't aware of it. Moderators are able to edit at any point in time, but I'm not sure about regular users and don't have the forum permissions needed to check it.

Perhaps MatthewGx will post back with some info to clarify.
    oz

Linux User
    @ozar, check if masterrussian.net also uses vBulletin. They allow us to edit our posts any time, there is no time limit. If our topic has 0 replies, then we can delete the thread on our own (regular users). If any post has a reply or replies, we cannot delete the post but can always edit it. What if I have to edit more than one posts, and after a time limit? I cannot make a moderator to do all of it.

oz
    forum.guy
    @ozar, check if masterrussian.net also uses vBulletin.
    No, they are using phpBB forum software.

They allow us to edit our posts any time, there is no time limit. If our topic has 0 replies, then we can delete the thread on our own (regular users). If any post has a reply or replies, we cannot delete the post but can always edit it.
    Yes, I thought that was the way our forums were setup, but maybe Matthew can check it. I don't have the forum permissions required to check it, myself.
    oz

Community Leader
    From what I can see, here's what we have in our setup:

The thread title can be edited up to 20 minutes from the post.

A post can be edited up to a day. After that, it's only editable by moderators.

Does this clarify things? Sorry it took me so long to get to this. I should have done this long ago.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewGx View Post
    From what I can see, here's what we have in our setup:

The thread title can be edited up to 20 minutes from the post.

A post can be edited up to a day. After that, it's only editable by moderators.

Does this clarify things? Sorry it took me so long to get to this. I should have done this long ago.
    It does for me... thanks for the info, Matthew!
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2