Find the answer to your Linux question:
Google already implemented Preferences why can't LF implement the same search query concept in Forum's "Search" page. I believe that would be huge help for new users - So that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Query Suggestions for LF?

Google already implemented Preferences
    why can't LF implement the same search query concept in Forum's "Search" page.

I believe that would be huge help for new users - So that already answered questions are not repeated again

Userful while search for threads too.

(For aplba/beta version )I believe Using Thread's title (as search query) would be appropriate.Later you can uses thread contents or key words
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

I think anything that will cut down on the number of repeated questions would be great. How about putting some text on the "Create thread" pages for new users pointing them to the search or even to the "New users read this thread"
    Linux User #453176

Community Leader
    @Lakshmipathi, thanks for sparking this conversation.

@Kieren, not a bad idea. At the very least, I bet I can add a message telling users to search the forums before asking their questions on that private message that is first sent out for new users.

Thanks!

I started using ixquick.com for searches a few months ago after it was posted on the forums (rather than google). It's easier to find posts using external search engines than the forum search facility. My first thought on this was the search facility on the forums needs to be improved ... maybe it does not - maybe the answer is to use external search engines & spend the time making the things LFO do well even better ... just my thoughts.

oz
    forum.guy
    Google will also search the forums directly with a request such as the following:

search_terms site:linuxforums.org/forum/

example:

Code:
    grub repair site:linuxforums.org/forum/
    I've seen a few websites that actually implement the Google search on their site rather than use the forum search feature that comes with the forum software.
    oz

thanks ozar ... works on ixquick.com as well

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    thanks ozar ... works on ixquick.com as well
    Johnathan, I've been experimenting some with ixquick.com and find it to be slower than google.com, and it isn't coming up with nearly as many good hits when used for searches, but I do intend to keep using it for a while because I suspect that it will improve as time goes on. I also like the fact that they don't track users (or at least they say they don't ).
    oz