Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, Long time no see! Since it has been such a long time since I've logged on, I can see a lot of differences to the website -- all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wasted space?

Hi guys,
    Long time no see!

Since it has been such a long time since I've logged on, I can see a lot of differences to the website -- all of which are great!

Except one.

It seems to me that there's a lot of wasted space at the top of the page that the user is forced to scroll past in order to get to the post (which, from the users point of view, is the most important part of the page!). Every new page I load requires me to scroll past a ton of "Find the answer to your linux question", "Try our new article submission system", "You are here", etc., instead of letting me see the post I'd like to read.

I can understand that all of that has to be displayed somewhere, but I don't understand why it has to be on every page.

Perhaps some of that could be removed on the pages showing individual threads?

Thanks for reading
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, smolloy!

If you are running Firefox, you can implement the element hiding helper add-on which allows you to remove certain aspects of a website if they get in your way. i personally never go online without it.

Otherwise, perhaps someone that has the forum permissions needed to change the layout of the website will see your post and make any necessary adjustments.

Thanks for the feedback...
    oz

Community Leader
    Thanks smolloy, good point, I think. I'll submit this for review.

Nuts, after all these years of using Adblock Plus, I have to admit that I did not know about the element hiding helper addon.
    Works a treat, Ozar! Thanks mate.

As for the banners at the top of the page... layout is cool, but perhaps it could do with a bit of condensing, as you do have to scroll to see anything, even the very first post, which is a bit annoying.
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlacii View Post
    Nuts, after all these years of using Adblock Plus, I have to admit that I did not know about the element hiding helper addon.
    Works a treat, Ozar! Thanks mate.
    Yup, it's most definitely a must have add-on for me... glad it's working well for you, too!
    oz

Yes, this is one great add-on to FF.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted