Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This afternoon I had an alarming experience. The forum refused to accept my password. After five attempts, it sealed me out. I keep my passwords stored in Firefox and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Has anyone else had problems with entering their password?

This afternoon I had an alarming experience. The forum refused to accept my password. After five attempts, it sealed me out.

I keep my passwords stored in Firefox and I have never previously had any problems with using the stored password on this site. This time, even when I tried entering the password by hand, it didn't work. The problem definitely was not at my end because I was able to log into the Debian forum without difficulty.

I'm on now via Kazehakase, which doesn't store passwords. Just what is going on?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

It's happening again! I can get in with Dillo but not with Firefox, even if I enter the user
    name and password by hand. And Dillo is a pain in the a*** to use.

I got a mechanical notification that someone had been trying to log in under my name
    yesterday. Well, that someone was me! For a while I thought some malicious
    person had altered my password but then why would it still work under another
    browser?

Please someone help me. I don't want to be frozen out of my favourite forum.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    I've not had this issue at all myself, and as far as I know you are the only one reporting it.

Have you tried clearing all history in Firefox to see if that might make any difference?
    oz

Try clearing your Firefox settings. I notice a lot of times that helps when my Firefox is playing up
    Linux User #453176

Well, I cleared all history, Linux Forum cookies and Linux Forum password. It makes no difference; I still can't get in via Firefox. There isn't anything else in the preferences dialogs which looks relevant. Maybe I need to reinstall.

This is Kazehakase in Debian. I haven't tried with Iceweasel since the problem started but I will when I have finished posting here. I hate it when computers behave illogically

Yup, Iceweasel fails too. Curiouser and curiouser.
    Last edited by hazel; 11-17-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Update
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Maybe if you get some spare time, you could try booting with the Parted Magic LiveCD or some other live distro and then try logging in with Firefox on that. If it all works there, it must be something gone awry with your current system.
    oz

Community Leader
    hazel, can you try from Firefox with computer or possibly boot into a live CD to see if it works? And, to confirm, have you verified your password didn't somehow magically change (by viewing your password in Firefox)? This definitely seems strange -

No problems here Hazel. I use a plethora of browsers,(chromium,seamonkey,opera,icecat,firefox, dillo,links2.

Hope you find the culprit.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Hazel...you are not alone!
    Over the last 48hrs I've had exactly the same problem as you. It keeps rejecting my password and locking me out after 5 attempts. I've tried requesting a new password and that sometimes helps once but then rejects it again..5 attempts and so on. I must have requested a new password about six times now. I am in right now ONLY by virtue of a proxy server! Grrrrrrr!

I've also noticed this site is loading a bit slow the last few days.

Mike
    Last edited by oxf; 11-17-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: BTW only tried using Firefox here..

Community Leader
    Can you be more specific on the proxy? Do you have the same issue in all browsers? Does it work from another computer? What login page are you using?

Please answer all questions (anyone having this problem) so we can better troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast