Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was following the forum regularly for a while, but have since run into a problem. I have been getting the "vundo" trojan from this site. It is a fairly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

For the site administrators

I was following the forum regularly for a while, but have since run into a problem. I have been getting the "vundo" trojan from this site. It is a fairly new variant and fairly hard to remove. I'd be glad to post the registry keys it adds to the HijackThis log if anyone is interested.

My system (XP SP3) is fully patched and I use FireFox, but I use an open-source antivirus program (Avira) and it is not detected. Neither does Spybot's Teatimer. To me it looks like it is using some "AcroRd32" vulnerability. What it does is install the pesky malaware which starts opening new IE windows when you are browsing (even with FF).

I know this is not really a linux issue, but it is a site issue, and I was wondering if the site administrators would be willing to look into the problem.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello, druidmatrix

I'm not sure what might be going on, but the matter will be investigated and we'll report back.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by druidmatrix View Post
    I was following the forum regularly for a while, but have since run into a problem. I have been getting the "vundo" trojan from this site. It is a fairly new variant and fairly hard to remove. I'd be glad to post the registry keys it adds to the HijackThis log if anyone is interested.

My system (XP SP3) is fully patched and I use FireFox, but I use an open-source antivirus program (Avira) and it is not detected. Neither does Spybot's Teatimer. To me it looks like it is using some "AcroRd32" vulnerability. What it does is install the pesky malaware which starts opening new IE windows when you are browsing (even with FF).

I know this is not really a linux issue, but it is a site issue, and I was wondering if the site administrators would be willing to look into the problem.
    This is spread through Flash if it's the same as we experienced a little while ago. It was actually being spread through the Flash ads served by our provider. While it was our security guys who dealt with it, the problem was related to the updater somehow.

This may or may not help
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Community Leader
    Thanks druidmatrix for reporting this. And thanks Elija, that does help. I'll definitely see to it that this gets investigated.