Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I'm really having problems logging in on my account gerard4143. I had to create this dummy account just to post my problem...Is anyone else experiencing any problems. gerard4143 Note ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Login problems

Hi,

I'm really having problems logging in on my account gerard4143. I had to create this dummy account just to post my problem...Is anyone else experiencing any problems.

gerard4143

Note - I tried reseting my password.

Which Web browser/version and OS/version are you using?

Have you noticed any web address/link being displayed in status bar during failed login attempt.

A few users are having similar problem. Check this thread.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, gerard

Have you tried totally clearing your web browser cache, then logging in again? If not, please try it to see what happens and let us know.

Also, if you don't mind trying this, it might be interesting to see what would happen if you rename your hidden .mozilla folder (if you are running a Mozilla product) in the /home directory, then start your browser so that the .mozilla folder can rebuild itself. You can reclaim your bookmarks from the old .mozilla folder if it works.

Thanks for the feedback on this.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I just got back in...I'm not sure why I couldn't log in...But I'm back..
    Make mine Arch Linux

oz
    forum.guy
    I hope it keeps working for you but other users experiencing this issue have reported it to be intermittent so good luck with it, and do let us know if it should crop up again.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

Noticed something useful

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Have you tried totally clearing your web browser cache, then logging in again? If not, please try it to see what happens and let us know.
    oz, I've started noticing a trend in where I'm having issues.
    Seems the only time I have any problems, I'm at work on a Mac (Snow Leopard, 10.6.3; Firefox 3.6.3 and Safari 4.0.5).
    No issues, ever, on my Linux box... multiple distros.
    The main difference is not even an add-on or plug-in... and I'll verify starting tomorrow (Saturday) and follow up.
    I have Firefox set to clear cache & cookies on closing for my home computers.
    Not so on the Mac at work.
    I'll set it to do so starting tomorrow and let you guys know.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the info, jay!

I found something earlier that might be the cause of the login/password problems and have forwarded the info through the proper channels, so I'm hoping to hear back pretty soon on whether or not the suggested fix works.

In the interim, I'm still looking forward to hearing what you figure out about the computers at your work.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

Alright...
    For the Mac at work, it wasn't actually the cache or browsing history.
    I tried a couple of different setups in FF preferences. The one that works fairly consistently is to clear the Cookies.

I've logged out and back in a few times, and if I don't clear them... no joy on the login.

Hope this helps!

*EDIT*

Tried the same setup in Safari... and it's working there, too.
    Seem that clearing just the cookies is getting me fixed between sessions.
    Last edited by jayd512; 04-24-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added info.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm thinking that you might be able to narrow down which cookies it is if you will remove only a few at a time, then try logging in again. My suspicion is that it's cookies related to certain advertiser, but I don't want to say the name here until I'm sure that it's their ads causing the issue.

Thanks for the feedback!
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I'm thinking that you might be able to narrow down which cookies it is if you will remove only a few at a time, then try logging in again.
    I was thinking about doing exactly that. It might take a few extra sessions. But I'll let you know.
    If you prefer, I can PM you if I happen across something that might be a likely culprit.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast