Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi - First let me say thanks for this forum - it is my favorite Linux forum. Now for the hard part - you are wrecking this forum with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Pop Ups...

Hi - First let me say thanks for this forum - it is my favorite Linux forum.

Now for the hard part - you are wrecking this forum with the ads - roll over popups etc...

I understand the need for revenue, but these things are poorley designed so that:

1. They hide the content.

2. They cannot be shutdown (ie closeWindow doesn't work).

This means that whatever post I am reading cannot be read - and that make it useless. Please, Please, Please find another way to fund Linux Forums.

With total respect...
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Just wanted to let you know that I've forwarded your concerns through the proper channels.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Hello

Just wanted to let you know that I've forwarded your concerns through the proper channels.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Uhm am I missing something? The only adds I see are the ones in the box next to a post, i.e by the side that dont obscure any text. Then there's a pop up asking me to complete a survey and I click "no thanks" A bit tedious but doesn't block anything. Unless others are seeing things I'm not?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by oxf View Post
    Uhm am I missing something? The only adds I see are the ones in the box next to a post, i.e by the side that dont obscure any text. Then there's a pop up asking me to complete a survey and I click "no thanks" A bit tedious but doesn't block anything. Unless others are seeing things I'm not?
    Sorry, but I'm not certain what everyone else is seeing at any given time, as I think different users might see different things. I suspect that screen resolution, browser window size, and a few other things might play a part in how things look to different users at any given time as well.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by oz; 06-30-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: substituted "resolution" for size
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by twoHats View Post
    Hi - First let me say thanks for this forum - it is my favorite Linux forum.

Now for the hard part - you are wrecking this forum with the ads - . . .
    Please, Please, Please find another way to fund Linux Forums.

With total respect...
    I could not agree more with TwoHats -- there is too much delay and recently a popup blocked my just-typed post that I was previewing -- too much! There is no need for more than 256 colors (if that) in the colored ads and the owners, purveyors, moderators and other workers at this heretofore best of fora will have to decide: am I here to help the linux community or is my priority the Allmighty Dollar?

If 1989 marked the fall of Communism, what did 2008 mark?

I will wait for your reply, for . . . you will know a tree by its fruit!

Reapectfully, please remember that paradox of Truth -- "one has to give it away to keep it," as a friend of Bill W once said.

Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    the owners, purveyors, moderators and other workers at this heretofore best of fora will have to decide: am I here to help the linux community or is my priority the Allmighty Dollar?
    You know, we're all volunteers, right? We don't work for MasMedia or anyone else (except our daily jobs).
    Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

That's good to know, Miketbob -- thanks for your efforts, all of you.
    Nontheless, who's in charge? Follow the money . . .

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by zenwalker View Post
    the owners, purveyors, moderators and other workers at this heretofore best of fora will have to decide: am I here to help the linux community or is my priority the Allmighty Dollar?
    Ten of those that help out here are strictly volunteers as already indicated above and none of them have any control over what is or is not displayed on the website, other than what is allowed through the moderator control panel, which is of course designed for threads and posts moderation.

The best way to contact those that are in charge of website design and advertising would be to use the Contact Us link found in the lower-left corner of this webpage and others on the website, as it was placed there for that purpose. Otherwise, we do try to forward notice through the proper channels of many items that get posted here so that they receive any due consideration.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz