Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is something new; it first appeared a few days ago and is still going on. I will be scrolling down a thread and suddenly a blank, empty window appears, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Blank windows are a nuisance!

This is something new; it first appeared a few days ago and is still going on.

I will be scrolling down a thread and suddenly a blank, empty window appears, covering up the text. There is an x in the top right-hand corner so I click on it. Result: I find myself back at the top of the page. I scroll down again and there is the same bloody window exactly where it was before. Over and over.

I usually use the Noscript add-on to Firefox because I got sick and tired of those double-underlined items that pop up rubbish when you mouse over them. But I can only get rid of these blank windows by turning Noscript off! Is this a conspiracy to force people to watch ads?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Your concerns have been forwarded to those in control of the advertising on the site.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Hazel, I've not seen any more of the blank windows referred to above so I'm going to close this.

Feel free to reopen if needed.
    Last edited by oz; 09-11-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy

reopened...

Hi, hazel

After posting the edit above a couple of days ago, I ran into the blank windows that I believe you are referring to once again, but noticed that they appeared only when I wasn't logged into the forums, if that's any help.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That white frame covering most topics is a nuisance indeed. Even though it disappears after login, it completely spoils my joy to make quick visits here from computers outside my house, which I used to do quite often.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    After posting the above a couple of days ago, I ran into the blank windows that I believe you are referring to once again, but noticed that they appeared only when I wasn't logged into the forums, if that's any help.
    You're right. I just did a test. Browsed as a visitor, got the blank window. Logged in on the same page and ran down it again: no window. And noscript still running. Well, that's a solution of sorts, I suppose.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by GNU-Fan View Post
    That white frame covering most topics is a nuisance indeed. Even though it disappears after login, it completely spoils my joy to make quick visits here from computers outside my house, which I used to do quite often.
    Sorry about that. You can try expressing your concerns through the Contact Us link found in the lower-left corner of this page and others on the site. Otherwise, I'm not sure about any fix for the issue, as I'm generally always logged in. I have noticed that a short alert has been placed within the window advising users that the window will go away upon login.

Thanks to all for the feedback.
    oz

Angry Linux Forum ad overlays/blocks view of content!

This is really obnoxious, that (as a guest) the ad window (for Linux-Forum-specific things like the Product Showcase or Ultra Hosting) is covering up headlines, links, and content (see enclosed pic), all while it cannot be closed OR EVEN MOVED. If you insist on "punishing" guest viewers this way -- don't tell me it's about making revenue, the ads are all for yourself! -- at least locate the window in such a way that it DOESN't impede browsing. And since the ad shows up on ALL Linux Forum pages, you'd better test its positioning on ALL pages as well! And while you're at it, try to predict all possible user screen resolutions, system font type and size choices, and factor that into your ad positioning. Oh, wait, that's impossible. Clearly, these half-measures won't work, why only make PART of the website unusable, you might as well just disable guest viewing altogether! [/sarc] Or better yet, GET RID of the uncloseable ad, STOP following the unconscionable model ("we're going to jam ads down your eyeballs until they choke") of "the rest of the internet". The Linux Community is supposed to be better than that!
    Attached Images Attached Images

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

The best way to reach those that handle the ads and their placement on the site is to use the Contact Us button in the lower-left corner of this page and others on the site. I've also forwarded your concerns to them through the proper channels.

Thank you for the feedback.
    oz

Thanx for the fw, I don't spend a lot of time on this forum, and when I wrote the OP I was under time pressure -- my boss was arriving to pick me up at any minute (and is again today). So I didn't have time to scroll around and hunt for more appropriate channels -- this one seemed appropriate enough to me.

did you try clicking that big x in the top corner of the add?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast