Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I work with several Ubuntu Linux computers. On one of them, when I click some of the links on this forum, I get super-annoying pop-ups. (These are directed to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Unable to block pop-ups at this site

Hi,

I work with several Ubuntu Linux computers.

On one of them, when I click some of the links on this forum, I get super-annoying pop-ups. (These are directed to sites like directors.live.com and gorillaIeak.directors.live.com).

I don't get the pop-ups on the other Ubuntu computers when view Linux Forums. Nor do I get them when viewing other web sites with the computer that has the problem with Linux Forums. I can't seem to find the difference in settings that would make the machine with the pop-ups operate that way.

The machine that has the problem runs 10.04, with Firefox 3.6.3. In Firefox, pop-ups are Blocked, Private Browsing mode On, Javascript On, and Cookies are Off. I can't find any FF Preference that appears to be set incorrectly.

Anyone else get the super-annoying pop-ups? Or have any idea what else I might check?

Thank you.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by benali72 View Post
    Anyone else get the super-annoying pop-ups? Or have any idea what else I might check?

Thank you.
    Welcome to the forums!

Just guessing here, but maybe the other machines have some additional add-ons and/or extensions installed helping with blocking efforts?
    oz

Just Joined!

[SOLVED ] Thank you!

Your guess was right on the money.

I finally found the problem. All the computers had Ad-Block Plus installed and enabled, but the computer with the problem had no Subscription or filters for the product. So I just added the basic subscription or filters to Ad-Block Plus and the ads are blocked fine now.

Thanks for pointing me to looking in the right places. I really like the Forums here but found I could hardly use it before with all the pop-ups. Now all works fine.