Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys, how about implementing the tapatalk plugin for the forums. I don't know how many guys we have here with tapatalk on their phones, but I use it a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Tapatalk

Hey guys, how about implementing the tapatalk plugin for the forums. I don't know how many guys we have here with tapatalk on their phones, but I use it a lot for the forums that support it.

I know it is available on the iPhone and Android, WebOS, Windows 7, Blackerry, and Nokia based smartphones.

Tapatalk

It would make the forums a LOT easier to navigate and use for smartphone users.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

oz
    forum.guy
    That looks like it might be a handy plugin to implement. We'll certainly look into it, and thank you for the suggestion.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy

quick update

Hi, gruven - just wanted to let you know that your suggestion has been under discussion in the admin forum but the final decision on whether or not to implement will be up to MatthewGx and/or MAS Media. Thanks again for the suggestion.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    so no one has made a decision on this in 8 months? Is it really that much to ask? I actually left Ubuntu Forums for this very same issue! Is it difficult to implement or something? is there a reason why even the question has been abandoned? Help me understand, please! Don't Linux users own smartphones or sumthin?

oz
    forum.guy
    Unfortunately, I've not been updated either way on whether or not the plugin will be implemented so no updates have been made to the current thread. It has indeed been more than 8 months since the request was made, so I'm assuming that it will not be implemented but that might not be the case.

In addition, right after the initial request was made for the plugin, we did run a poll to see how many members were using mobile phones to browse LinuxForums.org, but very few members showed any interest in voting either way:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...le-phones.html

Thanks again for the feedback.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Unfortunately, I've not been updated either way on whether or not the plugin will be implemented so no updates have been made to the current thread. It has indeed been more than 8 months since the request was made, so I'm assuming that it will not be implemented but that might not be the case.

In addition, right after the initial request was made for the plugin, we did run a poll to see how many members were using mobile phones to browse LinuxForums.org, but very few members showed any interest in voting either way:

**link removed** (not permitted yet.)

Thanks again for the feedback.
    Ok, so basically, if it was implemented, it would just be for lil ole' me, lol! Well that's disappointing ...and kinda surprising. I hate using my laptop for anything that's not necessarily done on a desktop/laptop. They're so big n slow, lol. I usually READ/browse from my mobile, and DO everything from my laptop ....usually at the same time.

Still, I can't imagine it would cost anything to the site besides the time it takes to contact TapaTalk and install a pluggin ....I wonder if a donation would make a difference!

Well, there MUST be some Linux forum out there that IS willing to implement it. I really don't see how it could hurt! I don't think it requires any additional maintenance beyond setting it up .......but I don't know that for sure.

Thnx for the response! Maybe I'll start a petition, LOL

Just Joined!
    Ok, so I viewed the poll ...and wut I saw was mostly disinterest due to the fact that they had already tried viewing this forum from their mobile device, and found it was too difficult! U (the site) did NOT ask if they'd be interested if viewing from their mobile device was NOT so Damn difficult (useless really) ...which is EXACTLY wut TapaTalk does!!! I am convinced that if members were given the chance to try it, or understood exactlty how it would be different, how they would benefit, and just how very very FAST and convenient it is, there would be much more interest!!! I'm pretty sure XDA is larger and contains as many ads (if not more) than LF, and that is precisely the reason I use it for viewing. I nvr go on XDA on my laptop. It's just too damn slow!! The pages take forever to load, I must always scroll side-to-side, zoom-in, zoom-out, wait, reload, wait some more! -exactly like now- It SUCKS! ...unless u use TapaTalk!

I'm viewing this site, and typing this response from my android now, and if I had taken that poll, and this was my only experience, I would have expressed my extreme disinterest! That's the point! If that poll was truly meant to gauge the need for support of an application like TapaTalk, then it should have been seen as an argument in favor of it, NOT against it!

the title of that poll should have asked sumthin more similar to the effect of;"if the experience of viewing this site/forums from ur mobile device could be improved -so much improved, that the experience would actually be more convenient, efficient, and satifying than viewing from your home computer, would u be interested?" ...yes, its quite biased, but I do believe its true ...besides, that's why I said "similar to", lol

Well at least I know wut my mission is; to convince members of TapaTalk's value, and affect the implementation of this invaluable utility!

WE WILL HAVE TapaTalk!!!
    Last edited by CleveRuse; 10-26-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Just Joined!
    ***if u viewed that last post when it was first posted, read it again, as it has been edited as of recent (6:04pm, eastern time, USA)***

Could I start another poll? Or is that sumthin only an administrator can do? I imagine that it is.

Could someone at least explain wut the disatvantages of adding this pluggin would be? Even if no one besides myself ever uses it, so wut? ....besides, in the milieu of technology, wut was valid and relevant 8 months ago, is obsolete 8 months later (and those time frames will exponentially decrease as advancement in technology exponentially increases). Everyday more n more (younger and older) people become more reliant on mobile devices as those devices become smaller and faster everyday! From a development standpoint, shouldn't we be promoting Linux ( and its open-source ideals) as the future of computing? And isn't the best way to do that by staying relevant; by staying ahead of the curve; and by ensuring that Linux and Linux knowledge is available and easily accessible to everyone?

It may seem like I'm being dramatic, but I myself have abandoned my own threads in the past, simply because it wasn't convenient for me to follow them, as it would have been if this utility had been available! Now maybe I'm the minority cuz most people run windows, and maybe Linux users -as few as there are, just aren't hip to the smartphone (to the future) ...but i assure u that mobile computing is becoming MUCH more prevalent! I know many people on XDA and similar forums, only or mostly only enter the site from their mobile devices. If that's how a number of people r choosing to get their information on other things, shouldn't we make it as efficient and convenient as possible for people to get their Linux information in the very same fashion?

To be clear, I'm not talking about making any sacrifices ....only facilitating the advancement of Linux to the fullest extent with a little effort! ...and this utility would be a step in that necessary direction! Even if only one person is effectively more knowledgeable of Linux as a result (and i believe there will be much more), how do u know that that one person won't be the person to provide the technological breakthrough that will put Linux in every household ...or somehow advance Linux to help change the world -even minutely! (LOL. Yes, admittedly, that last bit was a little over dramatic ...but true, none the less.)

I suppose wut I'm saying is that unless someone can point out the disadvantages; how the implementation of this utility could possibly hinder wut i believe must be the philosophy and the point of this site -to encourage and increase the knowledge and development of Linux- then the only thing left to keep LF from incorporating TapaTalk (or similar FREE apps -as TapaTalk is not), is the attitude of. "I just don't feel like it"

Please help make Linux knowledge available to all!
    Last edited by CleveRuse; 10-27-2011 at 05:57 AM.

You can start a poll in the Coffee lounge area.
    There are a few people who would like this app among other things but we can't force the site owners to do anything. Admins, Moderators and Trusted Penguins really have no say in what gets installed along with the forum software. It's entirely up to the owners who are trying to run a business here. I think your best bet would be to click on the "Contact us" link at the bottom of every page.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    You can start a poll in the Coffee lounge area.
    Just a quick correction to the above, Mike... it's only users that have made 100 or more posts that have the permissions needed to start polls on the forum.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast