Find the answer to your Linux question:
Being one that tests certain distros. I have to configure my new installs to get past openx loading the page for Linux forums. On new installs I may run Seamonkey ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

openx

Being one that tests certain distros. I have to configure my new installs to get past openx loading the page for Linux forums. On new installs I may run Seamonkey 2.0.11 or Chromium or latest Iceape or Firefox or Opera 11.1. Instead of Using Adblock in all browsers I usually edit the /etc/hosts file in whatever distro I am testing.

Latest distro is MyWolfe Puppy and AntiX 11 beta. Problem I had was when coming to this forum. openx would just sit there, not loading the page. I got around this by entering this entry into my /etc/hosts file.

Code:
    127.0.0.1 openx.linuxforums.org
    At the very bottom of the file.

Code:
    127.0.0.1 openx.linuxforums.org
    #end of lines added by WinHelp2002
    I usually grab a current hosts file from here for blocking all other ads. Just easier for me when testing distros because it effects all browsers instead of adding a addon in each one.

While I am proficient enough in Linux to know what I am doing to get past this openx dilemma.
    New Users who who are just learning may just give up on this forum if openx keeps them out (slow page rendering or no rendering at all). Even though other members may have no problems. The problem does exist. I wouldn't have started this thread otherwise. I don't start many threads but answer a few when time permits.
    Just food for thought is all.

Happy Trails,Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    New Users who who are just learning may just give up on this forum if openx keeps them out (slow page rendering or no rendering at all). Even though other members may have no problems. The problem does exist.
    Hello, Rok!

I nor the Mods/TPs have the server permissions needed to fix any broken openx issues, but hopefully those that do will see your thread and be able to fix anything that's not working properly. You can also use the Contact Us link in the lower-left corner of all webpages on this site to report broken ad issues if you wish.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

Community Leader
    I'd be curious to know if you're still having this issue. I don't seem to be having it. Thanks for the heads up! I wonder if it was a small hiccup.

MatthewGx, As long as I edit /etc/hosts file. I don't have that issue. I haven't done any virgin installs of any Linux Distros lately. So the only way I could test is back up modified /etc/hosts in my installs and make a virgin /etc/hosts file and see.

Cousin Lucky who does not run a modified /etc/hosts file had problems with openx untill he installed adblock plus addon to rectify the situation. Most folks run a add on for blocking ads. It is just point and click. All I can suggest is disable what ever adblocker you are using to see if problem pops up. Might have been a hiccup for me. But it does happen to other folks besides me. I just figured I'd post a way to stop openx from keeping folks from logging in or not having pages load here. My fix has worked ok so far with no hiccups yet.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/fee...-problems.html

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/fee...ng-lately.html

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/fee...x-lockout.html

Thanks for asking Matthew. Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home