Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gruven
Since the forums recently upgraded their web interface, I thought I would use this opportunity to raise an issue that has been bothering me. I commented on this in another ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Thumbs down MAJOR FORUM BUG!!! (kind of)

Since the forums recently upgraded their web interface, I thought I would use this opportunity to raise an issue that has been bothering me. I commented on this in another thread, but I thought it warranted its own thread.

The forum engine is not open source software. I consider this a major bug.

Anyone else agree? It just seems a bit unscrupulous to run a Linux forum on proprietary software.

Still, it looks quite nice, I have to give them that.

Thanks for the feedback ramin.honary. I have moved your post to the feedback section. Are you referring to Vbulletin software itself?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux User
    Oh OK, if you think my post fits-in better on this forum.

Yes, I was under the impression that vBulletin was not open source, I can't even find a license on their website, so I assume it is not GPL, BSD, or Apache.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    +1 to this bug

this is closed source commercial software

this forum promotes F/OSS software, yet we aren't using it to run the forums

About the only thing I can suggest is to use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of every page. Moderators and Trusted Penguins have no say in the matter and I think most of us are quiet happy to be using this software.
    This is just an opinion of course so take it with a grain of salt. Another thing is, this is just a software update for bugs and security, you've been using Vbulletin for quiet awhile now. Anyways, best of luck.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by ramin.honary View Post
    Since the forums recently upgraded their web interface, I thought I would use this opportunity to raise an issue that has been bothering me. I commented on this in another thread, but I thought it warranted its own thread.

The forum engine is not open source software. I consider this a major bug.

Anyone else agree? It just seems a bit unscrupulous to run a Linux forum on proprietary software.

Still, it looks quite nice, I have to give them that.
    While I completely agree with you, I have this to say:
    It makes complete sense to use vBulletin forums because they (the owners) are trying to provide you (the user) with a stable, consistent user experience, and also maybe make some money off of it. I have ran many forums in my years, and have considered vBulletin forums but didn't use them because of the price.

When you use the free forums, then you get this plugin made by that person and it may or may not be supported. Upgrades may break functionality, and plugins may or may not look different. You have to really tweak on the theme and site design to make everything look the same. vBulletin provides this without the time and effort that the others require.

I am pretty sure that this is the reason that another huge linux site (LinuxQuestions) uses vb.

Even myBB (which I prefer) is starting to become fragmented in it's development because they went open source. Plugin developers charge for their plugins, but hardly ever update them to the new software, which means everyone either has to use no plugins, or run outdated unsecured software.

So it looks like for this topic, open source's greatest strength is also a huge weakness for it here. If I was running a business (which this site pretty much is) then I would opt for the software that offered me support, stability, and consistency.

Now, if we could just implement tapatalk (yet another proprietary plugin), my forum experience would be complete!
    MikeTbob likes this.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry