Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been reading threads for the past hour, and if I read for a few minutes and then continue to click on a link or perform an action, LinuxForums complains ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LinuxForums logs me out automatically every few minutes.

I've been reading threads for the past hour, and if I read for a few minutes and then continue to click on a link or perform an action, LinuxForums complains that I'm not logged in. You might be tempted to be a tool and tell me to "just log in". The problem is not me: it's the forum. I log in and view new pages, and at the top it indicates that I am logged in, but it logs me out repeatedly without me instructing it to do so.

I am familiar with login time-limits (e.g. Wikipedia's 30-day login), but this is asurdly short, so my informed reaction is that it is not the same behavior. I have not closed my browser or logged out on any other tabs (using Iceweasel/Firefox).

If you know what is going on, please share your solution and the rationale behind it with the community, so that either A) the other/future users can work around this in a reasonable manner, or the forum devs can realize there is a problem.
    Last edited by AMDphreak; 06-23-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: forgot a word

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome aboard!

The forums are set to keep users logged in for 15 minute sessions. A new 15 minute session should begin each time a user clicks a link and a new page is pulled up. I'm logged in here quite a bit but have not noticed my own sessions being any shorter than that.

You can find more about how the forums are setup to work here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-user-faq.html

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit (03-14-2012): just a quick note here to say that the session timeout has been increased to 20 minutes, so hopefully that will be enough time for all members to get any longer messages posted. Otherwise, any long messages will need to be shortened, or fully composed in a text editor before logging in to post them, because it is not likely that we will increase the timeout period past 20 minutes. Thanks again for the feedback.
    Last edited by oz; 03-14-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: update edit
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you, Oz. It seems that this is the instructed behavior. Considering that reading that entire article is a bit overkill to find the small paragraph about this behavior that is different from other fora ("forums"), I'm going to reproduce the article's answer and provide a comment.
    6) Why do I sometimes get logged out of the forums prematurely?

The forums keep users logged in for approximately 15 minutes, which should be plenty of time to post the kinds of messages intended for these forums. To avoid getting logged out during a session, check the "Remember Me?" check-box just to the right of the login screen when logging in.
    15 minutes is pretty short. Also, composing a message isn't an instantaneous thing. It takes time to write depending on how many links you need to look up and verify. Then it takes time to proof-read and rewrite, then you post it and...happy time: the server denies that you or I ever logged in. A sensible default, this is not.

Also, it says I can change the behavior by clicking "Remember Me?" Ha, well, that is, IF I could click "Remember Me?" The check box doesn't work, and neither does the hyperlink on "Remember Me?"

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDphreak View Post
    it says I can change the behavior by clicking "Remember Me?" Ha, well, that is, IF I could click "Remember Me?" The check box doesn't work, and neither does the hyperlink on "Remember Me?"
    Hello

We believe that's a bug with the new vBulletin 4 software and have been waiting for a fix that is yet to come. There are some other login pages where the Remember Me checkbox does work such as the one that pops up if you try to reply to a thread before logging in. Once checked, you shouldn't have to find that page again unless you actually logout, or clear your browser cookies. Hopefully, the fix for the main page login will come soon.

I've seen some alternate login pages that should also work but don't recall exactly where I ran across them.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I just discovered that right before I revisited this thread. I refreshed and retyped my login information at the top, then tried to click the box again hoping it might have been fixed, but then I got ticked and let my anger out on the scroll button. After I saw the larger login dialog in the center of the page, I clicked the checkbox in that one.

Thanks for all the help! Now, on to writing my GNU thesis on the forums...yeah probably not the best noob thread.

Just Joined!
    I also really like the site design. I've seen a few forums with horrible ads and graphics, and there was one that had flashing ads that would most certainly send someone into a seizure if they had a predisposition to it. Candlepower Forums was the place. They had this huge red box with a warning message in it whenever you got a new account. The box showed up on EVERY page of the forum, and you couldn't dismiss it. It filled up my entire HD monitor. The only way to get rid of it was to post three non-spammer replies/threads. The same site had a huge 200 pixel by 200 pixel graphic at the top of the page. And no one could talk any sense into the site's head moderator/owner. I was going to write a thread to prove that she was liable to be sued for causing a seizure, but they banned me when I mentioned that I was going to set a poll up to see if anyone was interested in collaborating on a new site design. That place was a dictatorship. I didn't even bother making a new account to point out their abusive "moderation".