Find the answer to your Linux question:
I signed up many months ago and seem to remember abandoning the forum due to a bug in the forum software which prevented me to to post. I just returned ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't post - this forum is broken

I signed up many months ago and seem to remember abandoning the forum due to a bug in the forum software which prevented me to to post.

I just returned today, forgetting that this was 'that forum'! I've just spent about 45 minutes carefully documenting a PulseAudio problem and asking for help, but when I try to post my message, I'm told:

The following errors occurred with your submission

You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.
    I looked and sure enough, I had included one very helpful URL and quickly removed it and resubmitted the post, but still it says I have a URL!

I have scoured the post, which is not particularly long and can categorically state that the post does not include any URL, URI, etc. Nothing even remotely like one! Not even in the posted output or code samples.

Maybe I'm wasting my time even writing this as maybe I'll get the same message and the forum will continue in ignorance annoying those that it tries to help. This has been going on for more than a year now!

How can I prove to you that my post has no URL's in it? Can't the forum just accept the post into a sandbox until it is checked? At least then you will be able to figure out whether I'm right or not?

I suspect that it's the format of code samples or code output that is causing a false-positive in a regular expression in the forum software. Unfortunately, there is no such code or output which looks close enough to a URL, to identify what is causing the offense.

A very disappointing experience which I will blog about if not resolved, to save others the waste of time of registering and then not being able to post!

Just Joined!
    I notice I only need 5 more successful posts and then I can post my question! Yippee... me's off to chip-in in places!

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

You can check the following thread for some temporary workarounds to the 15-posts requirement:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-user-faq.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    None of these items, http, www, ftp, @, exist in the message I'm trying to post.
    Last edited by snowweb; 07-31-2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: adjust formatting for clarity

Just Joined!
    Maybe your server logs have a record of my attempts to post the rejected message and they could be analyzed to identify why this is occurring.

This cannot be an isolated case, as I remember having a similar issue about a year ago on this site.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by snowweb View Post
    None of these items, http, www, ftp, @, exist in the message I'm trying to post.

It was the @ symbol in this line of your code:

root@peter-accent-ubuntu:~# apt-get install --auto-remove pulseaudio
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ah, sorry! My mistake then. Sorry, never thought to examine the prompt itself. I'm sure that prevents a lot of legitimate posters, who never identify the problem and just end up using an alternative forum (like I've been doing for the last year). This is even more frustrating since the error message does not indicate or even suggest that '@' signs are banned.

Why don't you use regex to check, when it finds an at symbol, whether the containing string is correctly formatted as an email address. If it is, then reject the message, if not, then accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowweb View Post
    Ah, sorry! My mistake then. Sorry, never thought to examine the prompt itself. I'm sure that prevents a lot of legitimate posters, who never identify the problem and just end up using an alternative forum (like I've been doing for the last year). This is even more frustrating since the error message does not indicate or even suggest that '@' signs are banned.

Why don't you use regex to check, when it finds an at symbol, whether the containing string is correctly formatted as an email address. If it is, then reject the message, if not, then accept it.
    Snow,
    Happy that you are now posting.

When sending URL info, change the "@" to " at ",
    and if more is required, then change any "." to "," .
    When required, I add a sentence to describe the cryptics.
    Some sites are far more tedious than the Linux Forums.

If a change is required, copy out to an editor, make the change.
    Log out.
    Then log in again, do a copy/paste into a new post.

The only real problem I have with the Linux forums
    is the constant interruptions from advertisements
    and the screen jumping, the waiting for loads, that stuff.
    But that is not going away
    and I am adept at focusing on my tasks!
    Last edited by glene77is; 07-31-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: long wirds.

oz
    forum.guy
    The error message presented to those with less than 15 posts has been amended to include "(http, ftp, @)", so that should give anyone not able to post a strong hint as to why they are receiving the error message:

You are only allowed to post URLs (http, ftp, @) to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.
    Thanks for the feedback, guys!
    oz