Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
@reginaldperrin: Yes. Tracking has now become a multi-vectored affair, the days of reliance on tracking cookies are long gone. Nowadays adware/data mining companies like google, facebook, etc build up a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

@reginaldperrin: Yes.

Tracking has now become a multi-vectored affair, the days of reliance on tracking cookies are long gone. Nowadays adware/data mining companies like google, facebook, etc build up a profile of a person which can follow you from one computer to the next. Google, for example, are now everywhere, not just the google site, this site for example contains googleadservices.com scripts and sets cookies from them also. If you have a google account - e.g. google mail and use google search while remaining logged in (the whole intent) you are making handing over your profiling data on a plate. Google mail also scan your emails for key words to build up a more extensive profile. Chrome also has a lot of built in tracking disguised as features which should be turned off.

As to the targeted advertising thing, yes it's true but if you are seeing a lot of adult/dating links there can be other reasons behind it - not that you've been watching pr0n - but because i.e. ad profiles are showing browsing habits of a single man, between a certain age, etc.

To avoid a lot of this use an alternative search engine such as e.g. duckduckgo or ixquick.

Presumably many here are running GNU/Linux because of the inherent problems with mickeyshaft and other proprietary software products. Just switching to Linux however and retaining the same bad habits isn't enough.

This topic is not about my browsing habits, and I find your slant on this slightly irritating in that you suggest the popups are my fault. I have already said I was using the forum at work, I am hardly browsing inappropriate content while at my desk. If the ads were targetted, then they wouldn't be inappropriate. I don't use facebook or other social sites at work and I do already use adblock plus for chrome.

I reported the issue through the contact us link as suggested, thanks.

One other thing, it seems to be impossible to click the 'remember me' tick box in the page header.
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Quote Originally Posted by reginaldperrin View Post
    Browser privacy and security is quite a large and complex topic.
    Thanks for your considered reply but this isn't about browser privacy or security. I am not really bothered by ads on any sites usually, I understand they are there so the sites can make money to pay for hosting etc. This is about a pop-up not appropriate for a technical forum. If it was a popup ad for domain hosting or anything else I would not have made a fuss.
    Registered Linux user #389109
    My Semi-Linux Blog

Just Joined!
    Hi

Just a note: It's a pain to use this website via Smartphone without Ad Blocker!

Br
    Haze

Quote Originally Posted by stokes View Post
    One other thing, it seems to be impossible to click the 'remember me' tick box in the page header.
    If you use the Tab button and press the spacebar, it works.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 09-14-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Wrong quote
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by stokes View Post
    I find your slant on this slightly irritating in that you suggest the popups are my fault.
    I did not at any time suggest the pop ups were your fault...

What I was suggesting was: pop ups and advertising are an unfortunate fact of life and due to how they work - yes sometimes inappropriate ads can appear. Solution: Use ablock, no script and pop up blocking and they won't trouble you again.

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    Your reaction says more about you than the motives of the person you're ranting at.
    I'm not ranting and just as your being suggestive towards someones motives, the whole point the op was making was inappropriate pop ups someone comes along with the statement that if they were to go and visit p0rn sites they would expect to get those types of pop ups that's being suggestive towards someones habits just like your comment towards myself it's inappropriate, suggestive and it's not appreciated, but it tells me about you as a person.

As mentioned earlier by ozar, we have forwarded a note already. I don't think discussion going on over here will lead anywhere. I am locking this thread. If we receive any word form in-charge of this Forum, we will let you know in this thread only.

Thanx a lot for your feedback.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2