Find the answer to your Linux question:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...tml#post886000 Any particular reason? Personally I cannot see why this thread was locked - and there is no moderator post offering explanation. Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Locking threads...?

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...tml#post886000

Any particular reason? Personally I cannot see why this thread was locked - and there is no moderator post offering explanation.

Thanks

Hi, cynwulf.
    I'm the one that locked that thread.
    The reason is that the topic of unlocking root accounts has been covered many times before, here and at multiple other forums.
    We all have an opinion on the subject, and it's unlikely that either side of that debate will suddenly change their mind about it.
    This can, in many cases, cause a thread like that to take an ugly turn.
    So, instead of allowing the chance of a debate turning into a war, I decided that closing the thread was a better option.

I also added a comment to the thread in question so that there won't be any further confusion on the matter.
    Last edited by jayd512; 04-01-2012 at 03:03 AM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I am not going to state an opinion about about whether or not threads should be locked, because it is not my place. If I was not willing to accept the rules, I would not be here.
    My question is; If the thread was not closed while the heated exchanges were being posted, why lock it now after someone resurrected the thread more than half a year later? I find that a little confusing.
    I am note trying to to be difficult. I am merely curious.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why it wasn't locked previously. Possibly because it didn't get quite as bad as some other threads that have made their way onto the Internet.
    I just didn't want to see something get dredged up at this late date and see it go down a bumpy road.
    It's been my experience that reviving a touchy discussion is often worse than starting a completely new thread that covers the same subject.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    The reason is that the topic of unlocking root accounts has been covered many times before, here and at multiple other forums.
    The thread in question was not about unlocking root accounts ("sudo vs su"), but about logging into X as root - a completely separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    We all have an opinion on the subject, and it's unlikely that either side of that debate will suddenly change their mind about it.
    This can, in many cases, cause a thread like that to take an ugly turn.
    So, instead of allowing the chance of a debate turning into a war, I decided that closing the thread was a better option.

I also added a comment to the thread in question so that there won't be any further confusion on the matter.
    I'm not convinced that closing a thread just in case it turns nasty is a sound policy. Anyway case closed I suppose.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/new...tead-63-a.html

Another example where thread closing can be potentially harmful. A new user posts something useful to an old thread. The new user may have received some replies, additional information to add to the post. Why stifle all that potential just because it's an old thread?

From my perspective this is simply a bad way to moderate a forum. I'm not singling out or blaming jay here, nor am I trying to stir up trouble, this is not at all personal, but I cannot see any benefit whatsoever to this kind of procedural thread closing.

It can be pretty off-putting to a new member to have their first post/thread closed outright. Most people don't appreciate closing threads for no good reason - new people can simply go elsewhere where threads aren't seemingly closed on a whim or as part of some inflexible procedure.

I can only appeal to the admins/moderators here - don't ruin this forum with, what I will refer to as, an excessive hands on approach. Information needs to flow naturally - that's how questions get answered and new approaches are discovered - the clinical "questions and answers" help-desk approach doesn't work, doesn't teach anyone anything useful and is wrong in so many ways for a site which supports GNU/Linux and other FLOSS.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello, cynwulf

While we do appreciate constructive feedback, the creation of new feedback threads/posts, or the re-opening of previously solved feedback threads each time that you disagree with the closure of various other threads on the forums would come under the heading of flogging a dead horse.

Our forum administrators have thoroughly discussed this subject on several different occasions and in each case we have decided to close some threads as we think is best for the website, our membership, and our visitors.

Should you feel that the forum rules we have in place are too strict for you, or if you are uncomfortable participating here due to the decisions made by our forum administrators, we highly encourage you to find a forum that will allow you to determine how the site is to administered, or to create a forum of your own so that you can run it as you see fit.

This thread will now be closed to further discussion and I hereby request that you refrain from creating any additional threads or posts regarding thread closures.

We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
    oz