Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I saw that Roxoff amended the last post in http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...-bin-file.html I've noticed lately that there are many, many Guests looking at that thread. I think too many for legitimate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris

Really popular thread

Hi.

I saw that Roxoff amended the last post in http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...-bin-file.html

I've noticed lately that there are many, many Guests looking at that thread. I think too many for legitimate use. Almost every page in the Who's Online listing has one or more entries.

I think it's not just popular, I think it's essentially a DoS action, possibly accidental, possibly not. The moderators and administrators should be aware of the situation, but in case they are not, they should be after this.

I have no specific recommendation, just letting you know about the situation as I see it.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

That thread was started 7 years ago. The amount of views -- while high -- is not inconceivable.

Thanks for your feedback gentlemen, we are aware of this thread.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello, drl

As noted above, we are aware of it and have been watching it for about 3 weeks, but thank you for noticing it, and thanks for the alert!
    oz

I am confused. I thought the policy is to lock old threads when new posts are made. Why is this particular thread left open?

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    I am confused. I thought the policy is to lock old threads when new posts are made. Why is this particular thread left open?
    That thread was closed when it got bumped to the top. The link was added after the thread was closed. Sorry for the confusion.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just to clarify, the thread was already locked before I added to it. The thought that a DoS attack was taking place has been discussed among the admin team - but if some of this activity is being caused by people trying to resolve the issue that is discussed on the thread (that of trying to install a .bin file) then at least the thread now directs any users to a more appropriate answer.

The thread isn't unlocked and wasn't unlocked -even temporarily- when I posted to it. It's only a 'just in case' admin thing, and if I could have added the link without bumping the thread I would have.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/