Find the answer to your Linux question:
For years, I've subscribed to "Linux Forums Daily News" via email. For several weeks now, I've been trying to figure out how to change my subscription to another email address ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Why is changing an email address so complicated?

For years, I've subscribed to "Linux Forums Daily News" via email. For several weeks now, I've been trying to figure out how to change my subscription to another email address and so far nothing seems to work. There is a link at the bottom of the email newsletter "To update your contact information:" I've tried that a couple of times and am prompted to enter a new email address. Then I get a screen that says "MAS Media Inc.
    A confirmation email has been sent to your new email address.
    Please copy & paste the URL from that email into your browser to confirm the change. "

However, I never get a confirmation email at the new address. There is nothing on the linuxforums.org that I've found to change email, including my login account, which seems bizarre.

Why is changing an email address so freakin' convoluted? Good way to convince people linux is user-friendly, right?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

I nor the forum moderators have any control over the newsletters that are sent out, or where they are delivered. If you want to make sure that those who handle all that see your posted comments, I'd recommend using the Contact Us link found in the lower-right corner of this page and others on the site. I've gone ahead and used it to alert them to this issue on your behalf, but you can use it too should you wish, so that you know for sure it's been sent.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Hello

I nor the forum moderators have any control over the newsletters that are sent out, or where they are delivered. If you want to make sure that those who handle all that see your posted comments, I'd recommend using the Contact Us link found in the lower-right corner of this page and others on the site. I've gone ahead and used it to alert them to this issue on your behalf, but you can use it too should you wish, so that you know for sure it's been sent.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Thanks for the tip, I will use that link.

Just Joined!
    Well, oz, neither your alert nor my own input has had any effect on the newsletter gods. I've gotten no response at all and am about to give up. This lack of response is a really awful way to encourage people to get closer to Linux.

You've tried this?
    At the top of the screen on the right side, click on settings, about halfway down the page on the left side under "My Settings>My account" click on edit email & password.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Actually, yes. I've updated the email address, but that doesn't seem to do anything for the newsletter, which is still going to the old address. The system says it's sending a confirmation email to the new address, but never has. And yes, I've checked the spam folder.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mareich View Post
    Well, oz, neither your alert nor my own input has had any effect on the newsletter gods. I've gotten no response at all and am about to give up. This lack of response is a really awful way to encourage people to get closer to Linux.
    Good day, mareich

Sorry to hear that this issue continues, but the only thing I know to suggest would be to keep using the Contact Us form on a regular basis until they either reply, or they fix the problem. Hopefully someone in control of that part of the website will get you taken care of.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by mareich View Post
    Actually, yes. I've updated the email address, but that doesn't seem to do anything for the newsletter, which is still going to the old address. The system says it's sending a confirmation email to the new address, but never has. And yes, I've checked the spam folder.
    Perhaps it takes a day or so for the email system to get things squared away. Let us know if you get a solution, and thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Perhaps it takes a day or so for the email system to get things squared away. Let us know if you get a solution, and thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    I'd like to be more optimistic, but I've been struggling with this for a couple weeks at least. It appears that MAS Media, Inc owns the linuxforums but doesn't pay any attention to it. I even spent some time searching for a MAS Media, Inc site, but all I came up with is an address in Des Moines, IA.

I sent them an email and never got a response back so I have been marking those emails as spam. Its kinda helping, I just wish we could just remove our email from the list.