Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sorry to keep harping on this but it's not getting any better. The latest wheeze the site has dreamed up is that I can't log in at all using the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

More trouble logging on

Sorry to keep harping on this but it's not getting any better. The latest wheeze the site has dreamed up is that I can't log in at all using the normal page login, but I can if I click the reply button on a post. It tells me I am not logged in and gives me a login screen and that works. These problems keep coming and going and coming back, and I am getting exasperated.

I shall stop coming here if I get so much aggro!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Good day, hazel

I've still not had any problems logging in, so can't say what the problem might be, but if it has anything to do with the formatting of pages or the forum layout in some way, you might have to use the Contact Us link again in order make sure those in control of that part of the website know about the issue. In the interim, I'll post back with details in this thread if logins should become a problem for me, and hopefully other members will do the same if they encounter this issue.

Thank you for the feedback.
    oz

Just tossing in my 2 cents.
    I haven't noticed any issues logging in, either. I typically use FF, but I tested with SeaMonkey Konqueror, and even IE9, as well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Not sure. But I think Hazel is describing this sites behavior in Links2 browser which I also use on this site sometimes.
    The behavior she describes I get also when using Links2 on this site. I never mentioned this because I figured this site is
    outside application heavy (java and flash). Not like Puppy Linux forum or some other light weight forum sites I frequently
    visit.

If I am off the mark Hazel, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Not sure. But I think Hazel is describing this sites behavior in Links2 browser which I also use on this site sometimes.
    The behavior she describes I get also when using Links2 on this site. I never mentioned this because I figured this site is
    outside application heavy (java and flash). Not like Puppy Linux forum or some other light weight forum sites I frequently
    visit.

If I am off the mark Hazel, sorry.
    No, you are absolutely spot-on. I know Links doesn't do Javascript but all the same I never used to have all this bother with logging in.

If it helps at all, the initial login puts me in a kind of half-logged-in state. With a full login, each post has a Reply and a Reply with Quote option and there is a New Thread option on the forum. In this half-and-half state, there is a Reply option on each post and that's all. And when you use it, you need to log in again, but this time it works.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    New, here and just to add my 2c worth.....

Using Firefox here, on both XP and linux (multiple versions).

The site is awesome, but it has a few 'issues' that perhaps the admins should be aware of, if they are not already - that may hopefully help to increase the base of registered users. There is not problems as a 'visitor' though.

When trying to register the first attempt did not result in a received verification. The second did.

The login screen is user unfriendly. Firefox normally can remember login info and autologin to most sites. Not this one, though.

But the most annoying feature is that the site appears to log users (or at least me) out after a minimal period of time. If i take a small break or write a detailed post I will lose it here, unless i remember to copy it to the clipboard first and having to log in again if trying to post or reply to threads.

If this is only on my end, is there anything i need to do???

Hi, klachman.

When logging in, make sure to click on the 'Remember Me' checkbox under the box for your User Name.
    Otherwise, the Forum software will log you out after 15 minutes of inactivity.

As far as the failed verification, we've not had any reported cases of this happening to other members. So it may have just been a one-time glitch.

Thanks for the Feedback.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Thanks for the feedback. there is an option to keep you logged on so that you don't have that problem. I'll see if I can find it. There is a "remember me" button that should keep your password.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Hi, klachman.

When logging in, make sure to click on the 'Remember Me' checkbox under the box for your User Name.
    Otherwise, the Forum software will log you out after 15 minutes of inactivity.

As far as the failed verification, we've not had any reported cases of this happening to other members. So it may have just been a one-time glitch.

Thanks for the Feedback.
    Will that do it? I thought there was an option to select or something.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I used to forget about the 'Remember Me' button all the time. If I walked away from my keyboard for about 15 minutes, I would be logged out.
    If you keep going to different posts, however, you're not going to be logged out.

AFAIK, it's always been 15, but some of the recent software changes may have changed the time.

Other than that, you can tell your browser to remember your login credentials, but you'll still get logged out after a little while.
    Last edited by jayd512; 09-28-2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: added info
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast