Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I must be getting to be an old fart, because I have increasing problems seeing the small fonts on the posts. Is there a way, or could an option be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fonts for old farts

I must be getting to be an old fart, because I have increasing problems seeing the small fonts on the posts. Is there a way, or could an option be made available, to set font size in user preferences? 8, 10, and even 12 point fonts, on some days, are just too small. Thanks.
    Registered Linux user #526930

There are options in the Gnome desktop to set a size multiplier for all fonts - it's in the settings tools somewhere (I'm not in Gnome at the mo', so I can't check). If you just want to increase the size of fonts in your browser, then this is an option in both Chrome and in Firefox. In both you can just hold the CTRL button and roll the mouse wheel to change font size, or if you look in the settings there are the options to set the standard fonts and their sizes for display. In Firefox there is also an option for minimum font size. I don't know of that also exists in Chrome.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I'm using the Mint Mate desktop and firefox. I looked under tools in firefox, but didn't see an obious way to change default font size, plus I'm not sure if I did if it would make the page go off the side of the monitor. Do you know?

Ok, I found a place under edit preferences, and set it to 16, but it has no effect on LFI pages. Maybe after I shutdown and reboot it will take effect.

Nope, still no effect.
    Last edited by MASONTX; 08-20-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Additional info

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, MASONTX

I looked around in the forum software settings but could not find an option to allow users to select font size at the individual user level. I also took a look around for a vbulletin plugin that could be installed to allow users to do that and I found one, but the plugin was written for the vbulletin 3.x, while we use the vbulletin 4.x software. I believe there are some css utilities available that you might be able to use to change font size for these web pages but I've never used them. Perhaps someone else will chime in with more info on that option or other ideas, and I'll post back here should I run across a plugin that will allow font size changes for users.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

What happens when you hold the CTRL key and scroll the mouse wheel up?

In Firefox, the minimum font setting should be on the settings dialog box - open the 'Options' under 'Edit' and select the 'Content' and in the middle section there is a 'fonts' setup bit - choose the 'advanced' button there, and the minimum font size selector will be displayed. Make sure you're setting it for the right character encoding. You might want to change it for both Western/8859-1 and UTF-8.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    What happens when you hold the CTRL key and scroll the mouse wheel up?

In Firefox, the minimum font setting should be on the settings dialog box - open the 'Options' under 'Edit' and select the 'Content' and in the middle section there is a 'fonts' setup bit - choose the 'advanced' button there, and the minimum font size selector will be displayed. Make sure you're setting it for the right character encoding. You might want to change it for both Western/8859-1 and UTF-8.
    I was just going to say that. I have to do that when I do dual monitors with my TV.

Holding control and scrolling up or hitting + enlarges the whole page. While it does make the font bigger, and I do that sometimes, it also runs the page off the edges of the monitor so that you have to arrow side to side to read the entire line.

In Firefox 14:
    Click on View>Zoom>Zoom Text only.
    See how that works for you.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Thanks, but it still pushes the text box and text off the right edge of the screen.

Try using the Ctrl - to decrease overall size but use zoom text only instead. Maybe that'll get a different result.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast