Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I was registering, I thought those questions were super hard even if I though I am human... glad there was Google to help out, but some people might not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Random Question

When I was registering, I thought those questions were super hard even if I though I am human... glad there was Google to help out, but some people might not think to use it. I recommend making it more of common knowledge stuff.

Thanks for your feedback. While Mods and Trusted Penguins have no control over that part of the forums, you may also use the "Contact us" at the bottom of every page. I'll admit, I had to use Google myself.
    Once again thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 09-29-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. While Mods and Trusted Penguins have no control over that part of the forums, you may also use the "Contact us" at the bottom of every page. I'll admit, I had to use Google myself.
    Once again thanks for the feedback.
    You are welcome. I hope the administrators are active on these forums unlike others that I have been apart of.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome, dalawh!

It's difficult to appropriate good questions for the registration of humans vs bots on a forum, and they should be changed periodically.

Questions that are too simple or too common can be programmed into bots, or the answers can be computed by them so they can complete the registration process. Questions that are overly complex can make it more difficult for a human to get through the registration process. In other words, it's a matter of achieving the best balance for the intended purpose, and that can take some trial and error testing.

When I register on any forum that has a registration question that seems too hard for me to answer, I generally reload the registration page so that a different question appears. If that fails, a quick google search will usually reveal the answer.

The current questions have been in place for quite some time and so far as I remember, this is the first time this issue has been raised but as noted above by MikeTbob, the forum admins can be reached through the contact us link if there's a problem.

All that said, we're happy to have you aboard...
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Hello and welcome, dalawh!

It's difficult to appropriate good questions for the registration of humans vs bots on a forum, and they should be changed periodically.

Questions that are too simple or too common can be programmed into bots, or the answers can be computed by them so they can complete the registration process. Questions that are overly complex can make it more difficult for a human to get through the registration process. In other words, it's a matter of achieving the best balance for the intended purpose, and that can take some trial and error testing.

When I register on any forum that has a registration question that seems too hard for me to answer, I generally reload the registration page so that a different question appears. If that fails, a quick google search will usually reveal the answer.

The current questions have been in place for quite some time and so far as I remember, this is the first time this issue has been raised but as noted above by MikeTbob, the forum admins can be reached through the contact us link if there's a problem.

All that said, we're happy to have you aboard...
    I'm just saying make the question that people have common knowledge of.

Quote Originally Posted by dalawh View Post
    I'm just saying make the question that people have common knowledge of.
    Absolutely no disrespect meant but, define "common knowledge of" it's not as easy as that.

What is "common knowledge" between Americans, the British, the French, Germans, the Chinese, Taiwanese, Australians, etc. etc. The longer the list gets the more complicated it is.

IE: When is Independence Day?

July 4 = USA - 9 July = Argentina
    Depends on where you come from. How many billions of people have no idea of either.

As MikeTbob and oz said: Google - it's your friend!