Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Does Linux Forums save a draft? I had a long write-up done I needed to spell check and edit but my browser closed. As I was typing, it kept saying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Forums draft?

Does Linux Forums save a draft? I had a long write-up done I needed to spell check and edit but my browser closed. As I was typing, it kept saying "saving" but saving where?

Any help available?

Moved thread here.
    I think it's only saved to your cache to warn you only if you try to leave the page without clicking the submit button. If you edit the post I believe that replaces what was already saved.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Moved thread here.
    I think it's only saved to your cache to warn you only if you try to leave the page without clicking the submit button. If you edit the post I believe that replaces what was already saved.
    I don't guess I could recover it that way... I've spent many hours over the last several weeks of going from an occasional user for several years to a committed user and wanted to share some thoughts and get some feedback.

I might attempt to re-post later but wanted to say thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by metropoli10 View Post
    I don't guess I could recover it that way...
    I believe that once you log back in, there should be a smallish button on the lower left corner of the window when retrying your reply. It should be Restore Auto Saved Content.

Yep... just tested it.
    Once you reply or otherwise post, however, that info will be lost.

I know this won't help right now, but it's something to keep in mind for future reference.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I believe that once you log back in, there should be a smallish button on the lower left corner of the window when retrying your reply. It should be Restore Auto Saved Content.
    Oh, man, I wish I knew that was there...will be looking for the little bugger next time, thanks for the tip!

When I was testing it, I went so far as to log out of the Forum and log back in.
    I came right back to this thread, hit Reply, and it was there.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

This won't help with the point being discussed but I've done basically the same thing on other forums (that don't have the feature discussed). For one reason or another (usually "Finger Error" but not always).

So if I'm doing something large, I'm now in the habit of creating the post in a text editor, even if it requires a quoted portion of a post. It's set to autosave though.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sector11 View Post
    So if I'm doing something large, I'm now in the habit of creating the post in a text editor, even if it requires a quoted portion of a post.
    I got into the same habit, though lately I've not been doing that and instead trusting of the browser to a) not crash, and b) auto-save my text if my login times out.

If I could sidebar for a moment...if I had a gripe, it would be that the reply text box is too high and not wide enough - is that configurable somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    ...the reply text box is too high and not wide enough - is that configurable somehow?
    Not from your own settings or control panel.
    That has to do with the layout in the Forum software settings.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    That has to do with the layout in the Forum software settings.
    arrg. i did try the VB skins - not many choices...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast