Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My screen resolution is 1024x768; I could run higher but my eyes and I are 64 years old and even with bifocals it's hard to read the screen at a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't read the whole page on my screen.

My screen resolution is 1024x768; I could run higher but my eyes and I are 64 years old and even with bifocals it's hard to read the screen at a higher resolution.

When I attempt to respond to a post, with my browser maxed, I can't read the last few characters on each line of text that appears on my screen and there's no horizontal scroll bar on the page. If I manually resize my browser's screen width until a horizontal scroll bar appears I can then scroll back and forth to read the whole page but that's awfully annoying.

As I'm typing this, there's a yellow banner across the top of the page that reads"
    ---
    Fellow Members: if you enjoy helping others with Linux issues, please take a few moments to help out with any Unanswered Posts because those members are counting on your support.
    Thank you!
    ---
    Only I can't read the "ort" in the word "support" because they're off my screen to the right. Oddly enough, there's a horizontal scroll bar on this page but it's not there when I'm reading a forum post.

I'm not an IT guy but have been a full-time Linux desktop user, at home, since 2006. My current distro is Kubuntu 12.04.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is a known problem (and one I have complained about myself in the past) and not yet fixed. Best I can suggest right now is to get a higher resolution display, which is good for a lot of things, and since I am 65 and am terribly myopic I empathize totally with you!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Enthusiast
    You need to get "computer" glasses. The focal length needs to be for the proper distance. Figure out the distance from your eyes to the screen in typical use and ask your eye doctor to make a prescription for that distance. It makes a big difference. My co-worker has a pair of trifocals (top is computer distance, bottom for paper based, and the center for distance such as driving).

I'm 57 and still use a 6 point font in gvim and xterms (due to having a pair of glasses only for my computer use) and I have been far-sighted since I was 10.

Just Joined!
    I don't have any trouble reading what's on the screen, I'm saying I can't see part of what's on the screen, and just now resizing my browser window didn't give me a horizontal scroll bar. If every other website I have anything to do with can create dynamic pages which display ok on my screen, why can't this one? I like my screen resolution. Even if I didn't, it's the best my POS monitor can handle. Calling this a "known problem" is another way of saying "we don't care whether you can see or not, everybody else mostly can". I'm used to being treated that way by Microsoft and Apple. It's a little unusual to encounter that on a Linux site. Oh well, I've had my say. Now I'm done with it.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's not a real fix but have a look at this post. It may help
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Thanks. using Ctrl+mousewheel actually works though it wouldn't be much help for anyone who can't read fine print. I'd like it a lot better if linuxforms.org actually cared enough to fix the problem.

You may be better off if you are using Firefox (or compatible) or Chrome to install the Stylish plugin and use the style as posted in the link above. That is the Firefox syntax and it will give you your scroll bar.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I am using Firefox, on Kubuntu 12.04, and thanks but I don't need any more bandaids. Again, I'd prefer linuxforums just fix it. Failing that, I'd like to know why they don't care enough to bother.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldergeek View Post
    Again, I'd prefer linuxforums just fix it. Failing that, I'd like to know why they don't care enough to bother.
    Good day, Eldergeek

Technically speaking, it seems to me that a horizontal scrollbar should automatically appear in a browser window when text or graphical images extend beyond the edges of the window for any given window size, regardless of the screen resolution being used. The same should apply to vertical scrollbars. Otherwise, scrollbars should not appear in a window, as there is no need for them and they only occupy valuable window space. For whatever reason, scrollbars have not worked correctly on this forum for quite some time now as has been noted in previous threads in the feedback forum and in the administrator's forum.

I didn't see it mentioned in the posts above, so I'll mention here that unless things have changed, the forum admin and mods have no control over the forum layout or structure, so the best way to express your concerns to those that do have that control is to utilize the Contact Us link found in the lower-right corner of this page and others on the website.

Note that I've made the above link clickable just in case the described link is 'off the page' in your own browser. If you should use the link, we hope your inquiry and any results will be a positive experience.
    oz

I'll second the contact us suggestion. Sometimes developers don't see the issue on their machines so a bug report helps them to fix it.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast