Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Another thought, is that it could just be a bad router between your isp and the server. That wouldn't affect other sites you visit unless they used the same host, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Another thought, is that it could just be a bad router between your isp and the server. That wouldn't affect other sites you visit unless they used the same host, and then it is still a slim chance.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    Another thought, is that it could just be a bad router between your isp and the server. That wouldn't affect other sites you visit unless they used the same host, and then it is still a slim chance.
    yeah, that is the biggest problem with the internet... too many links in the chain equals too many places for something to go wrong!
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    In case anyone is attempting to troubleshoot this issue, at 10:21 am CST, the hangup happened again. While the page was trying to load, I went to more than a dozen other websites that all pulled up immediately, then after a few minutes, the following error message came up for LinuxForums.org:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    During that time, the only message showing within the web browser statusbar was "waiting for www.linuxforums.org..."

Upon trying to connect again to this site, a connection was finally made but it was 5 minutes later, at 10:26 am, CST.

Hope this helps with any diagnosis!

Edit: don't know for sure, but as a quick side note, I just noticed that no new posts were made during that period so this issue could well be affecting others as well.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Don't know, but just a thought...

This ongoing issue has me wondering if that bot attack (or whatever it was, and still is) on this site that started back about 10 to 12 months ago could be causing these periods of sluggishness, and now apparent timeouts?
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Don't know, but just a thought...

This ongoing issue has me wondering if that bot attack (or whatever it was, and still is) on this site that started back about 10 to 12 months ago could be causing these periods of sluggishness, and now apparent timeouts?
    It's a thought we hadn't thought of. Hopefully those in charge will see this thread and act accordingly. Thanks for all your feedback, Oz. I hope it's helping. I do know that Matthew has been made aware of that possible "Bot attack" but it's still undiagnosed/unresolved as far as I know.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Good evening, Mike!

Don't know... it could be that I'm way off base even thinking it could be something like the bot attack that's been going on for so long, but then it occurred to me that the attack planner(s) could have been intending for the attack to take its toll over a long period rather than instantly bringing the site down. Just something to consider I suppose, for whomever might look into the issue.

It's still possible that the problem is elsewhere, but when dozens of sites work normally at any point in time, but pages hang for so long on this site only, it makes me think there is something wrong on the forum server, or like gruven said above, maybe it's another ad that's misbehaving. I still need to implement my /etc/hosts file to see if that makes any difference, but have been too lazy to get around to it.

Edit: just went and took a quick look in case the issue is bots related and see that the "how to install a .bin file" thread is now up to nearly 13,000,000 views. You can click the link below then click "Views" in the blue bar at the top of the threads listing:

Applications

That's not normal, and no other thread on these forums comes even close to that, regardless of its age, and most of those views (guessing at about 95%) have come within the last 10 months or so. All that said, that particular issue might not be related to the current sluggishness issue at all, but it's still worthy of investigating further.
    Last edited by oz; 02-28-2013 at 02:18 AM.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Don't know... maybe it's just the web itself falling apart because at the moment, one of my other frequently visited websites isn't pulling up either...
    oz

Have you thought about trying a different DNS server just to see if things smooth out? I've not notice any slow downs lately.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    I used to change dns servers quite a bit trying to find the fastest ones but haven't done so for probably about a year now. Currently using OpenDNS's servers but I might get to it tomorrow and change them to see how it goes over the weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Okay, changed all my routers early this morning to use Level3's dns servers, so we'll see how that works out for the remainder of this week and over the weekend, although I'll most likely know before the day is out if the changes are making any real difference.
    oz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast