Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by oz Okay, changed all my routers early this morning to use Level3's dns servers, so we'll see how that works out for the remainder of this week ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Okay, changed all my routers early this morning to use Level3's dns servers, so we'll see how that works out for the remainder of this week and over the weekend, although I'll most likely know before the day is out if the changes are making any real difference.
    Alright! Giggety!
    Hopefully this might help you at least pinpoint this problem...not too sure what else you could do. Is it possible that Ad Block or something has been told to block something that is important or needed?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Is it possible that Ad Block or something has been told to block something that is important or needed?
    Don't think so because it seems to be working fine on other websites and forums with the same filters in place. As close as I am to the actual server it should be super-snappy regarding performance most of the time, but like gruven said above it could be a bad router between me and the server so the data is having to go the long way around to reach me.

Intermittent issues... you gotta love 'em!
    oz

Intermittent issues... you gotta love 'em!
    Oh, Lord... Ain't that the truth!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy

update

It was beginning to appear that the sluggishness issue was resolved by changing dns servers on my router, but last night (Friday, approx 10:40 pm, CST) it started happening again, so apparently it isn't nameservers related.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Are you using Firefox, Chrome or Opera? If so try using their noscript extension and only allowing the scripts you need.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Are you using Firefox, Chrome or Opera? If so try using their noscript extension and only allowing the scripts you need.
    Firefox, but I tried noscript last night and it didn't help. I might play around with it again later today to see if there was something that I might have missed.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I tried noscript last night and it didn't help. I might play around with it again later today to see if there was something that I might have missed.
    Nope, tried it again, but still no luck. I really do wish that I could adapt to NoScript because it truly is a great utility in that it does what it does so very well. It's just that I don't like the layout of the menus and the configuration options. I've installed it at least a couple dozen times over the years but have never been able to stick with it for more than 2 days at a time. Maybe during the next dozen or so attempts to adapt to it one of them will stick.

Regarding the issue at hand, it still might be something to do with my ISP because the sluggishness seems to happen mostly during peak evening hours, and that's when my ISP's super-duper DSL service has been dropping all the way back to dial-up speeds as noted in another thread. I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and will report back with anything that might be of use in diagnosing the issue. Otherwise, I'm going to assume that it's an issue with my provider.
    oz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3