Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This is one of those intermittent issues that may be hard to investigate and diagnose, but over the last few weeks, I'm running into sluggish periods with the forums where ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Intermittent slow page loads?

This is one of those intermittent issues that may be hard to investigate and diagnose, but over the last few weeks, I'm running into sluggish periods with the forums where each page will take a minute or so to load. In fact, the pages load so slowly that I can go to other sites and pull up pages there only to return and the page here is still trying to load.

These periods have been happening throughout the day on a daily basis and each one lasts for about 5 minutes, or so. I've been unable to find any specific times that it's happening, but as noted above, when it starts, other websites seem to be operating normally. For that reason, I tend to think that it's not a problem with my ISP, although it could be.

I suppose a good first step in resolving the issue would be to ask if anyone else has been observing these periods of sluggishness?
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've been having a few issues but it's always in the DNS Lookup phase. I may look at installing dnsmasq to cache my lookups locally if it continues
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Okay, thanks, elija

I'll start writing down the exact times that i first encounter these sluggishness issues and when they stop just in case the times could come in handy for diagnosing the problem. Other than those short periods several times each day, the site seems to be fairly snappy in performance, so I get the feeling it could be some kind of cron job or other service that's running for a few minutes during those periods causing a general slow down.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    For what it is worth, I have been on quite a bit lately, on my tablet from school wifi, on my phone now with the tapatalk plugin, and from home, and have noticed no slowdowns at all.

Usually when I encounter slowdowns on this site it is because one of the ads has a script that isn't loading, or the ad itself is hosted on a slow server. Adblock helps, but it doesn't stop the call for the ad so it still slows it down.

Other than that, it is smooth sailing.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    For what it is worth, I have been on quite a bit lately, on my tablet from school wifi, on my phone now with the tapatalk plugin, and from home, and have noticed no slowdowns at all.

Usually when I encounter slowdowns on this site it is because one of the ads has a script that isn't loading, or the ad itself is hosted on a slow server. Adblock helps, but it doesn't stop the call for the ad so it still slows it down.

Other than that, it is smooth sailing.
    Yes, it could be that, hence the reason for me not being able to pin it down to any certain times each day. One or more ads trying randomly to display but having trouble downloading or being called from their hosting server makes sense to me, and certainly worth of consideration as a possibility.

Thanks for the feedback on this matter, gruven.

I'll try to remember to check for what the output is in the web browser status bar when it's happening, too.
    oz

Personally, I haven't noticed any sluggishness. It could be that I just haven't been paying attention enough to notice, though.
    If I notice any delays in page load times, I'll make note of the times, as well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks, jayd

Since these episodes only last for about 4 or 5 minutes, it would probably be easy to miss them unless you stay logged in for very long periods at a time. I routinely see them at around 9:30 in the evening, but have been thinking it might be related to my lousy ISP, but even then the webpages on other sites seem to load fine.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Still running into this issue now and then, and it happened just a couple of minutes ago.

It could still be my super-lousy ISP, but it would seem that it's not, since at 9:44 pm CST, I clicked to load the index page of this forum, and while it was trying to load, I went to 5 other websites, pulled up each of their front pages, then returned here to find LinuxForums.org index page still trying to load. As noted earlier, this issue is intermittent, but something seems to be malfunctioning somewhere.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Still running into this issue now and then, and it happened just a couple of minutes ago.

It could still be my super-lousy ISP, but it would seem that it's not, since at 9:44 pm CST, I clicked to load the index page of this forum, and while it was trying to load, I went to 5 other websites, pulled up each of their front pages, then returned here to find LinuxForums.org index page still trying to load. As noted earlier, this issue is intermittent, but something seems to be malfunctioning somewhere.
    My bet is the ads. If you can by any chance find the url or the ip address the ad in question is calling, then you can block it in /etc/hosts.

I haven't had any problems lately, because I have ad tracking disabled, a feature a lot of the browsers are implementing now.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    My bet is the ads. If you can by any chance find the url or the ip address the ad in question is calling, then you can block it in /etc/hosts.

I haven't had any problems lately, because I have ad tracking disabled, a feature a lot of the browsers are implementing now.
    Hello, gruven

Yes, it very well could be based on past experiences with ads here, but I'm not able yet to determine which one it is, or even if that's the cause of the sluggishness at all. I've been watching the browser status bar to see if an alternate web address shows up there during the page loading hangups, but none yet. So far, it's only showing "waiting for Linuxforums.org..." when this happens.

I have a couple of heavily-loaded /etc/hosts filter files stored away but I might go ahead and update them, then put them to good use to see what happens.
    oz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast