Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayd512
I posted a short tutorial on Gentoo subforum. Some time ago. The thread is closed now (that's OK, it wasn't meant to be a support thread), but the life goes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Editing posts in closed threads

I posted a short tutorial on Gentoo subforum. Some time ago. The thread is closed now (that's OK, it wasn't meant to be a support thread), but the life goes on, Gentoo develops, and I'm unable to edit my post to bring it up to date. Do you think this is how it should be?

Members are able to edit the content of their posts for 24 hours after posting. And once a thread is locked, I believe the post content is locked as well.
    It's actually been that way for as long as I've been here.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

OK, so I was wrong about why I cannot edit this post. This post happens to be a sticky, having more than 5000 views by now. Do you think providing obsolete information is beneficial to the members and visitors of this forum? Do you think it is beneficial to these forums?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Members are able to edit the content of their posts for 24 hours after posting. And once a thread is locked, I believe the post content is locked as well.
    It's actually been that way for as long as I've been here.
    On second thought, it's OK. I never came here for help. I came here to help people having problems with their Linux. You have alienated me. No problem. This site is your business, not mine. Logging out for good. Wish you best luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    On second thought, it's OK. I never came here for help. I came here to help people having problems with their Linux. You have alienated me. No problem. This site is your business, not mine. Logging out for good. Wish you best luck.
    Not sure why you feel alienated here, Jay was being kind and helpful as usual. We'd hate to see you leave over something so trivial.

If you would still like to have your post updated, I am sure that can be arranged. We'd have to edit it for you if that is not a problem. If you still decide to remove yourself from our forums then we hope you enjoy what ever you set out to do. Good luck either way.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Mike's right... I wasn't trying to say that it can't be changed. I'm sorry if it came across that way.
    But here's where I got the information:http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ember-faq.html

13) Why can't I edit my own post, or thread title?

The title of your thread can be edited for up to 20 minutes after posting. The content of your post can be edited for up to 24 hours after posting. After that, only forum administrators can edit your post.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.