Find the answer to your Linux question:
When setting up my account, I didn't opt for e-mail notification because I usually deal with too many e-mails and things just get lost in the deluge. Instead I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] No way to save notification settings?

When setting up my account, I didn't opt for e-mail notification because I usually deal with too many e-mails and things just get lost in the deluge. Instead I was hoping to set up the in-forum notification in the "My Subscriptions" folder. The only thing is, when I click the box for notification updates, there's no place to save that preference and nothing changes.

I did go through all the obvious options without success. I'm not sure what checking those boxes accomplishes, but I was imagining something through the "Notifications" tab at the top of the screen.

If there's something I'm missing, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll leave it up to you. It's not a big deal either, it doesn't take very long to navigate to "subscriptions."

That's all. I really think this forum is great both as a resource and as a website, it just seemed odd that there was was a seemingly unusable feature.

Thanks for your time.

DonQuixoteMC
    Last edited by DonQuixoteMC; 05-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Do you mean Settings -> General Settings and then Default Thread Subscription Mode?

Notifications will alert you to various things such as PMs and likes etc.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just click the "Settings" link at the top of your screen. That'll take you directly to your subscribed threads.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I'll follow your directions and see.

This is what I'm talking about:

New Tab-> www.linuxforums.org/forum-> Sign in- > Notifications(Drop down menu at the top right of the screen)-> Inbox-> Subscriptions.

On the far right is a column of check-boxes next to each item you are subscribed to under a column labeled "Notification". By clicking each, I'm guessing you check that the one you want to be notified about. But, after checking them, I don't see a way to save that choice, so that when I navigate away, of course they are still un-checked.

If my description is still too vague, I can post a screenshot. I will try what you said though, I might be missing something really simple. I hope I'm not wasting your time

Thanks,
    DonQuixoteMC

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    There is a selected threads near the bottom of the page, alternatively what I posted previously will set your default setting
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Woah. Thanks Mike, I didn't know you could do that

Sorry for wasting your time guys, I guess I should have done some more digging.