Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not happy, I could not get my posts up. They were replies to the thread I had started. I spent a long time on them because I researched some of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down Posts disappeared to cyberspace

Not happy, I could not get my posts up. They were replies to the thread I had started. I spent a long time on them because I researched some of the subject matter as I was composing.

My first attempt just disappeared off the screen when I clicked reply and I was left viewing my thread without my reply. invested roughly 1.5 hours and although auto-saved continually was seen during composing it was not seen again by me.

I go a quick reply going and put 1 line of text to see if t worked. It did so beaut I went to edit and get some the former replies detail back in, took about 30 mins. I went to save and it appears was signed out. Went to sign in and again my amendment gone.

So 2 hrs no result. Part of the reason is the amount of typos that are generated. I am hittig te correc keys but many of the key stroke are not being reistered. My keyboard works fine on local and other browser based applications. I ae been hitting keys over and over to ake hem work.

This experience with this forum has been enough to put me off using Linux. Why did my post disappear? Why was I logged out when there when there are only 7 members and 556 guest using at the time? I want to make my displeasure known so I have just copied this because I expect this to fall over when I go to publish. My time is going to count for something this time.

Hi, Steve. Sorry to hear about your difficulties posting. Are you hitting the Remember Me box when logging in to the forum? If not, then you will be logged out after about 15 minutes.
    But see this thread for some tips on restoring your auto-saved content.
    It might help with future posts.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    To me the Remember Me is just a log on aid. I did not know that there is a 15 min limit and it would keep me logged on. Handy hint that if creating longer posts.

Just had a look at the suggested thread hoping to be able to restore anything of my replies. Had no success there.

I will come back to this as I see auto-save coming up on this.

I closed the browser and then re-opened, pressed the Reply to Thread button and then found the Restore Auto-saved Content button and it worked. That was good Jay. I hope very much that it works when I go to my thread where the problems occurred. By the way I don't know if this site was experiencing difficulties at the time but now even typing is responsive.

No Luck with my thread. I looked at Jay's suggested thread again and found this pearl, "Once you reply or otherwise post, however, that info will be lost." So in my case by being so riled up and starting this thread, I kill the auto-saved content in my other thread.

If I have a complicated or long post to compose now on, I will go for a local text editor first.
    Last edited by stevethegil; 01-06-2014 at 09:15 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've seen stuff like this happen on many times on boards all over the internet it has nothing to do with Linux. When I am putting together a big post I will usually write it up first in a text editor, then paste it in to whatever board it it. It's the internet and stuff happens.

Just Joined!
    I think there is a misunderstanding. I know that the performance of this website has nothing to do with Linux.

Seems as if docbop has pickup on one quote from the first post and read to much into it. I was so disappointed with what occurred and knowing that I will be using this site to help me on my Linux journey that is why I made the comment,"This experience with this forum has been enough to put me off using Linux." It does not actually say the forum operation has anything to do with Linux.

In subsequent posts I had cooled off. I have said how I have learnt about this forum site and that I would not be bitten again by writing up big posts in a text editor.

If it makes you feel any better, I had been a member here for a number of years before coming across the option to restore saved content. I lost a number of lengthy posts before coming across it.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I got over it, I said I cooled off

Jayd512 I am thankful for your replies and if it had not have been for your first reply directing me to thread (too newbie to put actual URL here see post #2) and then working with that information, I might not be feeling so good.

I have pity for anyone that losses posts/replies they have put a lot of work into. I bet you felt better too knowing there is a way of retrieving, as long as you have viewed the auto-save message.

I've helped more than one with that link.....
    Cool....... turns out it should be a link in my signature. :^)
    Jay

New Member FAQ