Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Pardon me if this is already present and I just didn't read clearly enough, but I propose an addition to the Forum Rules that would read something like this: DO ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Amendment to the rules?

Pardon me if this is already present and I just didn't read clearly enough, but I propose an addition to the Forum Rules that would read something like this:

DO NOT post "which distro/GUI/application is best?" threads. This is a personal preference and only *you* can answer that question. Do what we do: try them all out and pick the one you like personally.

I may be alone, but I'm tired of having to tell people this over and over...
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

dito
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Yes, that sounds like a good rule. And I still can't figure out why people continue to post linux questions on the news page. maybe it should be in red, double underlined

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    we have a sticky thread posted about this.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19023.html

it is there to help people decide on choicing a distro themselves i know it doesnt help alot but it has made a difference for those new members who take the time to look at that post all you have to do from now on is point them at that thread and leave it at that
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Well, that certainly helps, but perhaps either the sticky should be present in *every* section of the forum or we should just amend the rules like I mentioned, because there's a good chance new posters won't find that sticky.

P.S. - It's not like the sticky has really curbed the "which distro" posts in the Linux Newbie section either, since they apparently don't read it, so I guess a rules amendment might not work.... but perhaps it's worth a try anyway!
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer

Re: Amendment to the rules?

all online forums have some manifestation of this. i'm sad to say, it's inevitable....

Linux Guru
    Seems to me that it goes with the territory. I used to work as crew on a sailing schooner and every other tourist on board would ask one of three standard questions. Since we didn't want to discourage anyone, we just took a deep breath and explained it all over again. The cool thing here is, you can just ignore the question without it costing you in tips. Anybody that hangs around here for a while catches on, I think. A canned response, maybe with a link to the "Which distro" page, is easy and responsive.

$0.02 paid in full
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    we have a sticky thread posted about this.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19023.html

it is there to help people decide on choicing a distro themselves i know it doesnt help alot but it has made a difference for those new members who take the time to look at that post all you have to do from now on is point them at that thread and leave it at that
    Thanks, big_k. I forgot that I had written that...now I can just link there instead of re-typing it with every "which distro" post I lock.

I'm in agreeance with seether here...it is inevitable. The best we can do is point them in the right direction (aka - my sticky) and be done with it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    People will always ask because they want opinions, dont know themselves what options are available or for other reasons.
    I dont think rules are the way to proceed in this situation, pointing them to existing threads would be more helpful.

Jason

Just Joined!

i agreee with techieMoe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast