Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by gwalters As far as I know the word [REMOVED - The word ipod is on a spam blacklist. If your spamming free ipods you WILL be banned] ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by gwalters
    As far as I know the word [REMOVED - The word ipod is on a spam blacklist. If your spamming free ipods you WILL be banned] (yes I use it on purpose) is blacklisted. Why advert a product that is blacklisted? I also think the banner its self is a bit big. I would suggest making it smaller or moving it to the bottom of the page. I am dissapointed to say that when I opened up firefox with lfdo set as the homepage I though to myself: "Ugh, what is that ugly thing?"
    That word is on a blacklist because of a spam scheme involving free i-Pods. We have nothing against the product, just spam schemes involving them.

As far as feedback, I think the image could be scaled down a bit, but it's well integrated and looks good otherwise.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I understand the need for advertising but I agree with earlier posts this is a bit large. Plus for a site that is a forum format it might make more sense to setup the ads on the right hand margin of the page like many others do. It could still be placed prominently at the top but at least that way the only change is the part of the page for forums is narrower and people don't have to scroll down as much

as others I think the intergrating is great. But yes, it is a little large. No major complaints though.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

I understand the need of advertising as well, but I have to agree with people stating the actual size is rather large. It takes 1/3 of my screen. Maybe a smaller size or different place would be a good idea (or both)
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Guru
    Ok guys, thanks for all your feedback so far. I've made the advert smaller now, please let me know if its better or still too big. (the PC that im working from now has a really high screen resolution so its hard for me to tell the impact of the changes).

To the suggestion of moving it to the bottom of the page, unfortunatly it wouldnt get seen there so it wouldnt make sense to have it in that location. I did originally consider having the ad on the right hand side of the pages, but i was worried it would cramp the screen too much on lower resolutions, but maybe its something i could experiment with though.

Quote Originally Posted by linkinp4rk410
    do we get a discount if why buy the i-P-o-d Shuffle via your ad? *crosses fingers*
    Unfortunatly not, but Amazon have the lowest prices on most stuff, hence why im promoting Amazon. I also recently ordered a load of books from Amazon UK and was really impressed by the fast service and delivery so I think Amazon are good people to buy from.

Cheers,

Jason

The size is better this way, but could you put the advertisement on top of the page the way http://linuxtoday.com has ?
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by puntmuts
    The size is better this way, but could you put the advertisement on top of the page the way http://linuxtoday.com has ?
    I dont think it looks that good but here's a quick "artists impression", what do you think?
    http://images.linuxforums.org/artists_impression.jpg (173kb JPG).

Jason

Linux Engineer
    Way better Jason!
    image doesnt take the entire top screen, we dont have to scroll to get to the menu

Good job
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

I looked at your example with the advertisement on top of the page. I have mixed feelings about it
    - it is a better way of deviding commercial content and the actual forum
    - the way it is implemented as an example does not fit the rest of the layout
    - it still think it is rather big (you could try something with more graphics and text to see that, I assume you will not control the content and the color of the advertising)

Thanks for showing
    I\'m so tired .....

i hate it when the ads are above the site header. i personally dont like it like that. mostly because i feel it breaks up the flow of the page. and that is one of my biggest pet peeves. if the flow doesnt work then the site doesnt work. right now the flow is perfect but as for size it has always looked good for me but then again here at work i run at 1600x1200 but if i remember right when i was at home it didnt seem to bad either. but just dont move it to above the banner thats just my opinion
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast