Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hiya, I'm doing an experiment with a new type of advertising at the top of our pages, if you would like to give any feedback please do so here, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Feedback on advertising changes

Hiya,

I'm doing an experiment with a new type of advertising at the top of our pages, if you would like to give any feedback please do so here, it is much appriciated.

Rather than use traditional "banners" that are slow to download, (and often flash all over the place!), im intergrating a static advertisement into the page which downloads over 10x faster than a traditional banner.

As you know linuxforums.org isnt run by a company, nor do we ask for donations, hence the need to experiment with new advertising methods. Hopefully the products that will be shown via this new channel will be of interest to you.

All feedback, suggestions etc welcome.

Cheers,

Jason

Linux Newbie
    like the ad, great idea, and if it could help me keep up with new stuff im for it
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Linux Enthusiast
    I like the idea of extra money, and the way you've integrated it so well into the page, not as annoying . Of course I'm always glad to be able to look at the latest electronics products .

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    I might have to change my screen resolution for this
    Does it have to be that big?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    I might have to change my screen resolution for this
    Does it have to be that big?
    What screen resolution are you using?

Linux Engineer
    Money wise -> good stuff
    Look wise -> looks nice (other add might not)
    the image is a little big.. which makes it take a lots of space, (personnal opinion not complaining)

Other then that, you do what you got to do! money doesnt fall from the sky
    AND, I dont think we have to complain about anything, this is a very good site, stable, well designed, informative, where everyone learn and share ideas and knowledge...

Keep up the excellent work Jason.
    I greatly appreciate your effort, (im sure eveyone agrees with this)
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert

What screen resolution are you using?
    1152x864
    It takes about 1/4 of my screen(full screen, in GNOME it's almost half my screen)...

I really don't mind(care) using adverts though

do we get a discount if why buy the i-P-o-d Shuffle via your ad? *crosses fingers*

Linux Engineer
    I think it is too big!

I really don't mind the ad, I mind the bigness. A smaller version would be very nice. At 800x600 (It's my Dad's computer, else the resolution would be higher, I'm still waiting on my modem for my Linux box) I can just see the the top part of the thread title without scrolling...

A smaller version, perhaps linking to another page with more details and all would be much nicer on the scroll bar.

Linux Newbie
    As far as I know the word ipod (yes I use it on purpose) is blacklisted. Why advert a product that is blacklisted? I also think the banner its self is a bit big. I would suggest making it smaller or moving it to the bottom of the page. I am dissapointed to say that when I opened up firefox with lfdo set as the homepage I though to myself: "Ugh, what is that ugly thing?"