Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
If you could set in your personal preferences to not display certain forums or messages from those forums in searches it would be useful to focus the relevance of returned ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suggestion - ability to ignore forums

If you could set in your personal preferences to not display certain forums or messages from those forums in searches it would be useful to focus the relevance of returned results. Personally I don't know much about Yast or Drake/.*/ so I wouldn't be much help to someone with questions about either of those for an example.

This would be interesting, I do find sometimes I don't want results to do with certain things. What do the rest of you think?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    I personally don't think it's necessary. I don't need to use the search feature of phpbb that often - normally I google for help, or view a particular forum index manually. When I do search, I scan past the subjects that don't seem to relate to my particular problem.

There's probably already a MOD somewhere to change the search criteria, though.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Just Joined!
    I also thought it could be applied when the user views the main forums list. Or as an option when a forum is added to the "block" list.

the thing is that alot of questions that might be asked in say the distro specific forums you might still actually beable to answer if you dont know that distro because there are so many things alike about all the distros. alot of the basic questions that might get asked in the distro specific forum instead of the linux newbie forum because the user thinks that it might be a distro specific question but when in all reality it isnt. and even still there are so many things alike that looking at the distro specific forums you might still beable to help. i personally dont know much about any distro besides slackware but i still help out in all the distro specific forums unless it is a truely distro specific questions like say a question about portage on gentoo or something along those lines. you know what i mean?
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux User
    I like the idea for forum viewing as I only ever read 6 of the forums never even looking at the others. However on a search for an answer why would you want to reduce the number of possible places that answer could be.
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

Quote Originally Posted by copycon
    However on a search for an answer why would you want to reduce the number of possible places that answer could be.
    I find I need a thread that I know is in either w,x,y,z, forums, and when I search, a tone of things I am not looking for come up.

I suppose in the end its all up to Jason;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    IMHO...
    the messages should never be kept away from searches... but to handle this situation of search results giving 'extra' knowledge, i guess there should be means where the person who sends the message may be given the ability to categorise a particular post/reply as beginner/intermediate/expert and so on.
    keeping messages away from searches would not give the person seeking a solution that extra edge of knowledge to be applied/used later.

regards,
    rohit.

Linux Guru
    Thanks for the suggestion, i'll certainly think about it over the weekend, if anyone else has opinions feel free to share.

Banned
    but then people would blank out things they could answer
    Like i posted something on the fedora/redhat forum and some 1 replyed saying thanks who was using mandrake

different distro's have different package management but they are all inter-crossed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast