28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use arch

5 17.86%
  • No, I do not use arch

13 46.43%
  • Maybe

10 35.71%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Would it be possible to consider having an Arch linux thread created? I personally would use it and post questions there and possible answers. Thank You....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Arch Linux Thread?

Would it be possible to consider having an Arch linux thread created? I personally would use it and post questions there and possible answers. Thank You.
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Linux Engineer
    Arch is my favorite flavor of Linux...

But I don't know if a whole lot of people here use Arch, and it is a very "vanilla" system, much like Slack - meaning there aren't a whole lot of bells and whistles that differentiate it from other distros, other than package management. And in that case, man pacman solves most problems.

I suppose if there was a forum for it I'd make use of it, but I haven't seen a whole lot of Arch related questions here.

Just Joined!
    Amen. I have used Arch for over a year and can say it truly is my favorite distro. Absolutely great!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    arch is good and should have a section here.why don't you make a poll about how many here use it?
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    poll added.
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Linux User
    Sure, I'd like to see an Arch forum, and I'd answer questions there, but do you really think there's enough demand?
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

The only thing that I notice off the bat, is that arch has little to make it uniqe from any other distro. A package managment system thats nice, but again nothing seriously unique. I would answer questions there, but the few arch users we have, do any of them have any serious arch specific converstaion?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux User
    Well, you're right that it doesn't do anything really unique, but it's the only distribution I know of to combine a very strict philosophy of minimalism with a binary, dependency checking package manager. It's like a cross between Debian and Slackware, or a binary Gentoo I imagine.

As far as Arch specific conversation, not so much, no. Outside of the initscripts and Pacman nothing is all that unique. That's what makes it so special, they follow developer intentions. But then, there is quite a bit of working with udev permissions and such, and I guess some of these things could almost be considered distribution specific since you don't really see them being discussed with other distros.

My personal opinion is that adding an Arch forum here now would do little more than make Arch look bad with it's inactivity. However, in the future I forsee a lot of Arch derivations like we've been seeing over the last 2 or so years with Debian, and sooner than with Debian because of Arch's faster development. Hopefully we'll see this when the Pacman library project matures and comes into use, which I think will help Pacman turn a corner by simplifying frontend development. Hopefully it will get rid of those bash scripts too, and replace them with more C.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Guru
    I thought i would give an official opinion on this subject..

Until I upgrade linuxforums.org to phpbb2.2 when it is released, there is not enough space on the main forum index for as many distro's as I would like to include, hence priority will be given to the distro's with a substantially large following and active userbase existing at linuxforums.org. When i do the upgrade to phpbb2.2 I will include sections for a lot more distributions, including Arch and Yellow dog (suggested previously).

Jason

Linux Newbie

Arch Linux

I think you should add the section, and if you do not like if after a couple of weeks or whatever you can take it away.

Give the people a chance.

P.S i would not use it but others would

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast