Find the answer to your Linux question:
there's a lot of stickies in there, some of them are over 2 years old, i wondered if you'd considered taking some of them down and saving the stickies for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

coffee lounge

there's a lot of stickies in there, some of them are over 2 years old, i wondered if you'd considered taking some of them down and saving the stickies for important issues like the thread on software patents, and the other on trusted computing, and other things that are a threat to our way of life

I agree to a point. Removing older stickies might be a good idea, although we run the risk of duplicating past popular threads like "Where are you from?" or "How old are you?"

I don't personally think anything other than age of the thread should be considered a factor in determining whether or not to remove a sticky, however, since what is an "important issue" to one person (or moderator) may not mean a hill of beans to another.

Some cleaning would be nice, but before anything is done we need to flesh out *how* it should be done.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    The sticky topics are staying for the time being

Looking down the list of the 5 or so sticky topics in the coffee lounge all of them have been posted in over the last 2/3 days. Taking a decision to remove them based only on the start date of the topic does not make much sense, especially if they are still relevant / active topics.

.. and one of the sticky topics is about software patents

If you find the sticky topic's are taking up too much space on the first page of the coffee lounge and causing you to have to scroll, consider increasing the "Topics Per Page" setting in your profile.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    my concern was merely the fact that i found the need to have them as stickies questionable, the space they take up is not an issue for me, although the idea that certain threads could be merged into one, like age, sex, location, could become one 'introduce yourself' thread, did pop into my mind.
    i know that a software patent topic had been made sticky, i was just using that as an example of something that has already been done so the idea didn't seem so alien

Linux Enthusiast

Re: coffee lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    and the other on trusted computing, and other things that are a threat to our way of life
    I agree , one or both of the trusted computing threads should be
    made sticky.