Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
[quote="josolanes"] Originally Posted by budman7 i belong to a site that has this implemented. it worked great for a long time, but eventually people started taking advantage of it and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #11
    Linux Enthusiast aysiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    633

    [quote="josolanes"]
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    i belong to a site that has this implemented. it worked great for a long time, but eventually people started taking advantage of it and started +repping friends and -repping people they didn't like....but that's another story lol

    if there was a way to make sure there aren't any useless +/- reps than i think this would be a great idea (i'm also assuming that you have a way of implementing it on these boards).
    I think it'd be pretty easy to prevent this from happening. How about only the person who originally started the thread (the person who asked the question) gets to +rep or -rep people? I mean, I can't go into Amazon Marketplace and just start giving negative feedback to random sellers. I have to actually buy something from that person. It'd probably be best to ask the clueless newbie "Who helped you out the most?" rather than having just anyone tag a +rep or -rep to posts.

    Of course, the clueless newbie would actually have to know to tag people...

  2. #12
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Umm... I'm not at all in favor of any kind of rating system because it will undoubtedly become a popularity contest, but the idea of not allowing posts made in the Coffee Lounge to count is a very good idea even though I'd lose a large number of my own posts (mostly from welcoming new members).

  3. #13
    Linux Guru budman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knee deep in Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    3,242
    The karma ratingwas tried for about a week or so. I thought it was very well implemented.

    And the people on this site are really great, I just don't see a "popularity contest" resulting from the karma rating.

    I also agree about the Coffee ounge posts not being a part of post count.
    Especally as it means that I would not lose my resident guru status.

    To aysiu, it looks like you are quoting me when you are quoting josolanes.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

    New users read The FAQ

  4. #14
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Odessa, FL
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I think it'd be pretty easy to prevent this from happening. How about only the person who originally started the thread (the person who asked the question) gets to +rep or -rep people? I mean, I can't go into Amazon Marketplace and just start giving negative feedback to random sellers. I have to actually buy something from that person. It'd probably be best to ask the clueless newbie "Who helped you out the most?" rather than having just anyone tag a +rep or -rep to posts.

    Of course, the clueless newbie would actually have to know to tag people...
    that's a good idea

    and as budman7 said above...i agree with lounge threads not counting. it can give newbies a false impression of how well someone might understand what they're talking about (though post count isn't everything...if it was done like this, it should be a good indicator ).

  5. #15
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Hopefully, any "rating system" that should ever be implemented here would be setup in such a way that it could be disabled by those users that don't want to be rated.

  6. #16
    Linux Guru bigtomrodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,132
    I am so relieved to see this post. I was just afraid to complain anymore! This pretty much sums up any irks I have about the forum, or more appropriately how it is used.

  7. #17
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    On the other hand, I do think that it would be nice to not count Coffee Lounge posts toward your overall post count.
    He he... there might be a few gurus demoted to 'newbie' in that case.
    Ow... Is that so .

    Anyway, I second that! Coffee-posting is not considered helping people by me... At least not linux-wise
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

  8. #18
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    I am so relieved to see this post. I was just afraid to complain anymore! This pretty much sums up any irks I have about the forum, or more appropriately how it is used.
    Yeah, me too! It was driving me nuts to see all those really old "I'm new to the forums" threads dragged up from years ago just to improve someone's post count. Many of the new threads created in the Coffee Lounge are purely for boosting one's post count, too. I thought maybe I was alone in feeling this way.

  9. #19
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,429
    I think way too many people just post to increase their post count & get their penguins... I remember the race between two fairly new members (I'm not naming anyone) but I think it is already getting out of hand. You've got plenty of newer people posting useless, offtopic replies on threads... Sure that's not meant to help the topic starter.

    Anyway, I'm all for subtracting the Coffee Lounge post counts . Don't know how much posts I'd loose, but I wasn't that 'hi, welcome to the new forums', so it shouldn't be lethal .

    Edit: I'm fairly new also, so I am referring to the posting behaviour I saw in the past few months...
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

  10. #20
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Too far from the fridge
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    I think way too many people just post to increase their post count & get their penguins... I remember the race between two fairly new members (I'm not naming anyone) but I think it is already getting out of hand. You've got plenty of newer people posting useless, offtopic replies on threads... Sure that's not meant to help the topic starter.

    Anyway, I'm all for subtracting the Coffee Lounge post counts . Don't know how much posts I'd loose, but I wasn't that 'hi, welcome to the new forums', so it shouldn't be lethal .

    Edit: I'm fairly new also, so I am referring to the posting behaviour I saw in the past few months...
    Thank you all for bringing up this topic. I too am a little sick of the post count competition. I agree with borromini on 99% of his post. Unfortunatly you would not have posts counted that deal with Windows or otherwise misplaced questions that happenned to end up in the coffee lounge.

    I've been a member since Feb-2005 and I only have 65 or so posts.... I'm not in it for the competition. I'm only here to learn and maybe contribute in some small way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •