Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Just an idea (and probably a poorly thought out idea), but perhaps there could be something that shows the ratio between number of threads started and number of threads answered ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just an idea (and probably a poorly thought out idea), but perhaps there could be something that shows the ratio between number of threads started and number of threads answered in. My theory being that if you started a large number of threads you are probably asking a lot of questions, and if you just contribute to pre-existing threads you are answering questions and, therefore, helping lots of people.
    Sort of how much you take vs. how much you give.

I dunno if introducing a scoring system that might strongly influence people's posting styles is a good idea, but I thought I'd just put it out there. What do you think??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Just an idea (and probably a poorly thought out idea), but perhaps there could be something that shows the ratio between number of threads started and number of threads answered in. My theory being that if you started a large number of threads you are probably asking a lot of questions, and if you just contribute to pre-existing threads you are answering questions and, therefore, helping lots of people.
    Sort of how much you take vs. how much you give.
    I don't think that's a good idea because it might discourage people who actually ask a lot of questions. We *want* people to ask questions here. There's nothing wrong with asking a lot of them. It's great that people answer questions too, but I don't think most of us would have anything to do if no one asked any questions.

On the other hand, I do think that it would be nice to not count Coffee Lounge posts toward your overall post count.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    On the other hand, I do think that it would be nice to not count Coffee Lounge posts toward your overall post count.
    He he... there might be a few gurus demoted to 'newbie' in that case.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Guru
    I actually agree on that one, people bumping threads from 2003 with totally pointless 1 word comments like "cool" just for the sake of getting one more post is beginning to irritate me

That happened to me along time ago :P i cant be assed to comment on it any more.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    I actually agree on that one, people bumping threads from 2003 with totally pointless 1 word comments like "cool" just for the sake of getting one more post is beginning to irritate me
    Great idea... I've been thinking that for several weeks now, but thought maybe it was just me. Some of the new threads started there are the most useless creations I've ever seen, too.

Hope it all works out...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    Damned straight, people use their post counts as some kind of status of power, fair enough if you had 10,000 posts and pretty much all of them were helping people or asking questions that end up helping people anyway, sure you could boast about that, it's an achievement, but gaining a high post count just by saying "welcome to the forums" and then boasting about that starts to get old.

It's nice of people to do that, but I wonder how many would still do it if their posts counted for nothing, just for the simple fact to say "welcome and enjoy yourself". I think it's certainly one to consider before it really starts to get out of hand

Linux Engineer
    Gentoo forums recently implemented that. I think it was last week that the threads in "Off the Wall" section were no longer counted in users post count. As you might imagine this cause outrage amoung the usless few who _only_ post total garbage. It reduced "gurus" to "newbies" :D and rightly so if you ask me.

I kind of liked the "karma" thing that was tried a while back.

Tying to get a good karma rating would have some people scouring the net for solutions for others.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    I kind of liked the "karma" thing that was tried a while back.

Tying to get a good karma rating would have some people scouring the net for solutions for others.
    would this be similar to a rep system? (sounds similar)

i think that could help too...
    if someone answers a question helpfully, than people can reward them with +reps, if they seem to do something might cause harm or just post in a thread with a useless comment than they can get a -rep. it could be shown how many reps the person has, + or -, by a bar under their name. red is bad, green is good.

i belong to a site that has this implemented. it worked great for a long time, but eventually people started taking advantage of it and started +repping friends and -repping people they didn't like....but that's another story lol

if there was a way to make sure there aren't any useless +/- reps than i think this would be a great idea (i'm also assuming that you have a way of implementing it on these boards).

just my 2 cents though

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast