Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What is the criteria for having a particular distro included in the ‘Your Disto’ section? I only ask because I see that Yoper is in there and yet I’d think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Distros in 'Your Distro' section

What is the criteria for having a particular distro included in the ‘Your Disto’ section? I only ask because I see that Yoper is in there and yet I’d think that Ubuntu, Arch and Vector (to name a few) are as popular. Not that I’m having a go at Yoper in any way
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Jason has answered this question before. Here's a quote from another thread, that one asked about adding Arch Linux:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lambert
    I thought i would give an official opinion on this subject..

Until I upgrade linuxforums.org to phpbb2.2 when it is released, there is not enough space on the main forum index for as many distro's as I would like to include, hence priority will be given to the distro's with a substantially large following and active userbase existing at linuxforums.org. When i do the upgrade to phpbb2.2 I will include sections for a lot more distributions, including Arch and Yellow dog (suggested previously).

Jason
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Ubuntu is a form of Debian.
    Arch is?????
    Vector is a form of Slackware.

So people with those distros could post in the approriate forum.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, the "which distros to make forums for?" is always a tuffy, because you can get too many distro forums going. I frequent one board that must have 50 different distros listed. It's a bit overwhelming, really.

Still, I understand why people would like to see certain distros have their own forum.

Thanks for the answer. It's just something I wondered really. Personally, as an Arch user, I don't mind either way as Arch has it own user forum and is very useful/helpful.

Like I said, I just wondered if a criteria was applied
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Arch is?????

I believe you missed my point entirely. We simply cannot add more sections with this version of the board sofware. Regardless of what criteria we used to get the current sections up there's just no more room.

J has said before he would love to have more sections for other distros, he simply can't do it yet.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Arch is?????

I believe you missed my point entirely. We simply cannot add more sections with this version of the board sofware. Regardless of what criteria we used to get the current sections up there's just no more room.

J has said before he would love to have more sections for other distros, he simply can't do it yet.
    Zba78 was talking about the popularity of the 2 distros, all I was saying was there is an existing forum for them to post in.

Not to contradict or agree with your post, just more info.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Maybe have Debian/Ubuntu/Arch and wrap the three into one?

I think already the Debian section is to provide support for all debian based distros (especially since almost everything except ubuntu is compatible with debian repositories, and even then, you could get most of ubuntu-backports to work with debian)

Yoper is not only a distro and development team that we are close with, but is a unique distro, Linux has seen a similar 'retro' type throwback that most of american pop culture has seen. The 'rising stars' are revived and revitalized versions of proven distros. The best example of this being the ubuntu-debian relationship. I don't want to start a flame war by going into it too much, but in short ubutu was able to clone a solid and stable system, throw some corporate backing in and build a very user friendly version of debian. having spent time in both, I will say that under the hood, ubuntu is not much different. Mostly incorporating lots of default settings and less questions from debconf.

In short, anyone running ubuntu could ask 98% if their questions to a debian guru, and even if the guru gave them the debian answer, it would work. (the obvious exception being some repository choices and package names)

While a new ubuntu user might not be certain of where to ask his/her question at first, reading the forum descriptions or ubuntu main page quickly reveals where to look.

While we are anxiously awaiting the upgrade, it seems that some almost want yoper bumped for ubuntu or something. In reality it would just make it tougher for new ubutu users to get solid answers from the debian power users who might frequent the debian forums.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

I agree. All Debian-based distros can and should (IMO) fit into the existing "Debian-based" section of the forum.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast