Find the answer to your Linux question:
Won't somebody please think about the children?!?! I'd love to get (and would pay for) a distro for kids. A $5 or $10 cd/dvd at Toys'R'Us that just lets kids ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kids distro

Won't somebody please think about the children?!?!

I'd love to get (and would pay for) a distro for kids. A $5 or $10 cd/dvd at Toys'R'Us that just lets kids use the computer safely.. that would sell easily to parents who share a pc, but know nothing about downloading distros and burning cd's. Think about it: Little kids, tweens, guests, etc. get to use your pc/laptop without being able to screw-around with your stuff. Revive crappy old equipment for good use. Protect your existing system.

A Knoppix or DSL type of live cd with simple menu (sponge-bob theme, sesame street?) and programs, games, edu software for kids. Tweens can have their internet access to do homework or check mail and save stuff to pen drives or cd's (anything portable, lock harddrive access out).

If anything like this already exists out there... PLEASE let me know.

Re: Kids distro

Quote Originally Posted by Basil7718
    Won't somebody please think about the children?!?!

I'd love to get (and would pay for) a distro for kids. A $5 or $10 cd/dvd at Toys'R'Us that just lets kids use the computer safely.. that would sell easily to parents who share a pc, but know nothing about downloading distros and burning cd's. Think about it: Little kids, tweens, guests, etc. get to use your pc/laptop without being able to screw-around with your stuff. Revive crappy old equipment for good use. Protect your existing system.

A Knoppix or DSL type of live cd with simple menu (sponge-bob theme, sesame street?) and programs, games, edu software for kids. Tweens can have their internet access to do homework or check mail and save stuff to pen drives or cd's (anything portable, lock harddrive access out).

If anything like this already exists out there... PLEASE let me know.
    Being a teen myself with geometry and all that I honestly thought having a distro with stuff like Kig(Interactive Geometry Software), OpenOffice(already included in most distros), Firefox(same), etc. would be really nice, with a simple install and a not-as-bloated liveCD to accompany it, and in fact edubuntu comes close, but leans more towards education. Honestly I thought of making something based on Ubuntu(my favorite distro of the week) just for us teens, something like Ubunteen, but one person can't do it alone, so for now until more people like you and me come along that could help make such a thing I'd say there isn't anything quite like what you described, but I honestly like your ideas.[/url]
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!

kids distro

Thanks for turning me onto edubuntu... great solution for teens (niece and nephews who visit me) but i have a small child who, like daddy, wants to play with the computer. A distro for someone learning to type, use a mouse, very very very simple menu and options to make a pc functional, but limited to childrens use, or very young adults, or "old" people afraid of a pc, guest/visitors, etc.

You may be calling yourself a teen, but you sound like older high-school at least, and i'm more interested in earlier ages than that. A live-cd with options for child, teen and guest menu/modes would be ideal.

I love your idea for Ubunteen. Very good idea and great name.
    I hope the concept gets passed around the community enough that something happens.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: kids distro

You may be calling yourself a teen, but you sound like older high-school at least, and i'm more interested in earlier ages than that. A live-cd with options for child, teen and guest menu/modes would be ideal.
    Try a 14 year old Freshman in AP Math.

Linux Enthusiast

Thanks for turning me onto edubuntu... great solution for teens (niece and nephews who visit me) but i have a small child who, like daddy, wants to play with the computer. A distro for someone learning to type, use a mouse, very very very simple menu and options to make a pc functional, but limited to childrens use, or very young adults, or "old" people afraid of a pc, guest/visitors, etc.

I hope the concept gets passed around the community enough that something happens.
    It does actually sound pretty weird really, all you need to do is edit the menus, and dumb it down a bit, maybe take a few apps out, put a few in, something apt based would be good for this.

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon

It does actually sound pretty weird really, all you need to do is edit the menus, and dumb it down a bit, maybe take a few apps out, put a few in, something apt based would be good for this.
    However for one, in the current state of the Ubuntu installer, most people of the ages described would either freak out, or can't understand what it's doing. Part of making this would be for one, a installer that would be easy for the age ranges described to use. Also, even though the config tools that come with Ubuntu are decent, Synaptic is confusing to a beginner(along with the command line, so no apt-get for a while) and there are some missing tools for sound cards and the likes. There is just a lot of things that you may not think of that would need to be put in such a thing.