Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just a thought. I know you can set up your profile so that you get an email whenever someone pms you, but is there a way to make them stand ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Making pms stand out more

Just a thought. I know you can set up your profile so that you get an email whenever someone pms you, but is there a way to make them stand out more in 'real time?' It's so easy to miss one when you have a high screen resolution. Any ideas about this?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Just a thought. I know you can set up your profile so that you get an email whenever someone pms you, but is there a way to make them stand out more in 'real time?' It's so easy to miss one when you have a high screen resolution. Any ideas about this?
    [User CP] -> Options ~ 'Messaging & Notification' / 'Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up'

Just Joined!
    i think it should be making PMs more visible....i almost had a heart attack the first time i read it )

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, it would be nice if the link to PMs would turn red (or some other color) and blink when you have PMs that haven't been viewed.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRoot
    [User CP] -> Options ~ 'Messaging & Notification' / 'Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up'
    Thanks for that! I knew there would be something I'd missed.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by marlowe
    i think it should be making PMs more visible....i almost had a heart attack the first time i read it )
    I get what you mean. ))

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRoot
    It's only useful if your browser isn't blocking popups - most modern ones do, and even if it puts a bar at the top to say it's blocked one, I'm so used to ignoring it, that I do so automatically.

I've a member of another forum (not a Linux forum) where if a new pm is received, it adds an extra box at the top of your forum page in a different colour, offering options for reading the message. It's only a couple of text lines big, but it's really useful.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    It's only useful if your browser isn't blocking popups - most modern ones do, and even if it puts a bar at the top to say it's blocked one, I'm so used to ignoring it, that I do so automatically.

I've a member of another forum (not a Linux forum) where if a new pm is received, it adds an extra box at the top of your forum page in a different colour, offering options for reading the message. It's only a couple of text lines big, but it's really useful.
    Same here, I sometimes go for days before I realize I have incoming PMs pending.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff

Very good point! Maybe this thing should be re-thought-out and re-designed... In the meanwhile - what I do is "just keep my eye on" the upper-right corner where it says: Private Messages: Unread x, Total x. (under Welcome, <name>.)

Yeah, I also block popups and sometimes javascript as well. It's easy to miss a PM, and sometimes I really want that feature more than to reply to a thread.