Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Ya its a due dilengence problem, but how many people post one thread, get a response, it solves there problem, then never look at that thread again? The problem is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ya its a due dilengence problem, but how many people post one thread, get a response, it solves there problem, then never look at that thread again? The problem is I don't trust all the one time users of the forums. Thus a permission problem arises were it needs to be decide who can edit this threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Muser
    Ya its a due dilengence problem, but how many people post one thread, get a response, it solves there problem, then never look at that thread again? The problem is I don't trust all the one time users of the forums. Thus a permission problem arises were it needs to be decide who can edit this threads.
    The "due diligence" problem seems to be one that never totally goes away, and a permission problem would be (in this situation) somewhat of a secondary issue -- this idea is about creating a semi-automated (and thus more easy) way for people to "exercise due diligence with the press of a button"...

well of course if I were given some sort of super cool title like "Keeper of the Posts" then I could utilize my passion for inserting (SOLVED) for the benefit of all because god knows techimoe can't do it all, even being a superhero bad you know what monitor like himself.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    well of course if I were given some sort of super cool title like "Keeper of the Posts" then I could utilize my passion for inserting (SOLVED) for the benefit of all because god knows techimoe can't do it all, even being a superhero bad you know what monitor like himself.
    That's a lot of hard work for just one person! Are you sure you're up to it?

(I wouldn't get my hopes up for the super cool title... )

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    What do we want? People to begin adding SOLVED to the title of their solved problems! When do we want it? As soon as possible!
    "How's it coming on that 'SOLVED' button?"

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRoot
    "How's it coming on that 'SOLVED' button?"
    ** bump **

Linux User
    I asked a Search Engine Optimization Expert, and he strongly advised not to do it, for the simple reason that we would have a keyword density for "Solved" on the forums, ranking us lower on other keywords.
    Thus, I am afraid it is not going to take place, since in a way, it is bad for the forums.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Wizard
    he strongly advised not to do it, for the simple reason that we would have a keyword density for "Solved" on the forums, ranking us lower on other keywords
    Yeah, that makes good sense to me. I wonder then if there might be a way to simply color the titles of solved threads differently from unsolved threads, or to put some type of solved indicator or image next to the title of solved threads? This would still allow everyone to see that the issue has been resolved while keeping the actual word "solved" out of the search engines altogether.

Just a thought...
    oz

Oh, well... The "**SOLVED**" idea was a good one, anyway. We will just have to come up with something else -- I see ozar is already thinking about it -- another idea --- is there a good way to allow [only] the original poster to change/toggle the icon that is used in the thread lists - much like the 'locked' icon [is a special icon] as compared to the other 'normal' icons - this special icon could indicate "not active"/etc...

Just another thought...

EDIT: Oh - I forgot - Thanks Core Wizard for checking into it...

I guess I'll stop adding **SOLVED** then.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast