Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I do fully understand that we can't have a different forum for every distro out there and certainly wouldn't want that but it would be nice if we could have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Lightbulb Suggestion: Miscellaneous Distributions Forum

I do fully understand that we can't have a different forum for every distro out there and certainly wouldn't want that but it would be nice if we could have a Miscellaneous Distributions Forum at the bottom of the current distros section.

As it stands now, quite a few technical threads get started in the Coffee Lounge about various distributions because there is no other place to put them. If need be, one or more of the current distro forums that have very little activity could be mixed in with the new forum.

Thanks in advance to the admins/staff for considering this suggestion.

ozar
    Last edited by oz; 02-12-2006 at 10:03 PM. Reason: corrected mispelling in title... darned keyboard!
    oz

Sounds good to me mate. It might even prompt me to try another distro!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I guess you could ask questions in the various other forums (misc, x-windows...) but what about the Yoper forum? That forum is very rarely used and could be converted. Then again, I don't know what that entails so the choice is all yours .

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I don't see why technical questions about non-mainstream distros can't go under the other categories (for instance, X-Windows questions go in the "Linux Desktop/X-Windows section, sound questions go in the "Games/Multimedia" section and general hardware goes in the "Hardware" section). Why add yet another part of the forum to lose threads in?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    I agree, I'd like a new separate miscellaneous forum also for the many (smaller) distributions not listed

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I don't see why technical questions about non-mainstream distros can't go under the other categories (for instance, X-Windows questions go in the "Linux Desktop/X-Windows section, sound questions go in the "Games/Multimedia" section and general hardware goes in the "Hardware" section). Why add yet another part of the forum to lose threads in?
    an example could be a question specific to arch (its package manager or otherwise). that can't go in any other sub-forum as it wouldn't meet any of that forums criteria, but there's also no arch section either...so, having a miscellaneous distro sub-forum would fix such a problem (for arch and any other non-listed distro)

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Why add yet another part of the forum to lose threads in?
    Rather than "adding" one, I was thinking more in terms of replacing an already not-very-active forum with one that would be much more active seeing as how all miscellaneous distros could be discussed there. Of course, if Core Wizard thinks adding another one is good, that would work too, but it seems at least to me that we have enough individual forums, already. As it stands now, the Yoper and Knoppix forums are rarely used.

Hope that made sense...
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    In fact, after thinking about it some, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take an additional step and turn the Knoppix Forum into more of a generic Live-CD Help Forum because there are lots of other live-cds distros that could be discussed there.

Either way, I'd be interested in hearing Core Wizard's thoughts on it.

ozar
    Last edited by oz; 02-12-2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling error... darned keyboard!
    oz

Yes, I've had it many times where I didn't know where to post because I use Arch, so I'm all for this idea.

Linux User
    The Forum is now created

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast