Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can there be a section for older computers? I don't mean 600mhz, I mean like 486 and prior to that. I mean, I know this is all about advancement but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Where are all the OLD computers to go?

Can there be a section for older computers? I don't mean 600mhz, I mean like 486 and prior to that. I mean, I know this is all about advancement but Linux can breathe new life into really cheap computers. I have nothing cutting edge and I figure I do really good with everything. I use a 166 for school >gasp!<

There's another thread from a guy in India asking about a budget system, and someone told him to look for something around $500. That's a long time's wages in India. Why not get him online for about $100 and have the best system in his area? I'm in El Paso, Texas and people here are mostly computer illiterate but India is a whole different ballgame. But I bet he could get a $10 486 pretty easy, and load some kidn of Linux on that and be online like the rest of us.

Can there be a section made for older computers?

Nathan

Linux Enthusiast
    Well, old computers are using the same OS's for linux and stuff, so personally, I do not see the point. Also, in India, a LOT of people are computer literate, I have been to places like Delhi, and Mumbai, Agra, Jaipur, and all the time I saw people using computers. A lot of work is being outsourced there because the labor is cheap and the programmers are good. It may sound like a poor country, but just you wait, it is gonna be massive

i'm with bacon on this. india is where it's at for programming. unfortunately many big companies see programming in the same light as clothes manufacturing. if it can be done cheaper, it will be done cheaper at all costs. software development has a reputation as having terrible abuse of its workforce. i can't provide concrete evidence, but there are whispers that programmers are pressured to work huge amounts of overtime among other things. by huge amounts i mean whole weekends and the like.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    Yep just post in the relevent sections. It runs the same distro no mater what speed, and giving help for an older computer is most definetly not going to change from a new computer. The distro does not make things harder just cause it see's the hardware is old.....

Just Joined!

What we do in the USA

First we get a job .
    Next we get a credit card.
    Then we either build or buy a fairly up to date fast computer.
    Then we donate all those dinosaurs (500mhz or less) to Goodwill or the Salvation Army
    and get a tax break.
    Yep, that's the plan.

as far as a section what is the need linux is the same on an old box or a new box
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    as far as a section what is the need linux is the same on an old box or a new box
    Agreed... this is a Linux forum, not a CPU forum. That said, I don't see the need for a separate section for older computers. Just my 2 cents, though...

oz
    oz

And I thought I was the only one who still uses a Pentium Classic. I don't see a 500mhz computer as being old. As a matter of fact it can be pretty good when you consider price and power consumption. The problem is that "old" differs from person to person, just like whether or not a person is rich. If you have more money than me than I may consider you rich but if another person has more money than you they may consider you poor. But I can relate. Someone once told me that my Cyrix 6x86 pr200 at 166mhz and with 128mbs of ram shouldn't even be running X windows. Personally some people just don't have respect for older computers. I think it's good when people make the best out of a bad situation. Others unfortunately could care less. I guess that like an older computer I just don't want to be forgotten.

Just Joined!

India's low wages are not so low anymore

I read an article a couple weeks ago that pointed out the fact that the wages in india have risen to a point where it's not necessarily cheeper to use programmers there. Some companies are pulling out and looking for cheaper labor elswhere or bringing the work back to the states.