Find the answer to your Linux question:
I frequent a car forum ( www.clubrsx.com ) that uses the same forum software as we do here, and it allows users to input all of your car's information underneath ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Request: Computer specs under "Additional Information"

I frequent a car forum (www.clubrsx.com) that uses the same forum software as we do here, and it allows users to input all of your car's information underneath your location, birthdate, etc...

I'm assuming this information is adjustable using vBulletin. Is there anyways we might be able to implement this here, but with computer information? say, information like: distro, cpu, xorg version, window manager/desktop environment, amount of ram, computer's main use, etc...

this seems like it may possibly help people give more specific answers to people. if the person who needs help has an older computer, than the people responding could answer accordingly. people can respond according to various computer specs listed in their profile than, with little or no need for the original poster to list their computer specs at the start of every thread they create

Just a thought
    ...and thanks a lot Core Wizard for all of the things you've done to the site so far. I really like the changes you've made

Linux Enthusiast
    Example of what additional information would look like (from my profile at clubrsx.com):

if we could somehow incorporate computer information into this, it might help posters give more accurate answers for thread starters, since we'll then have more information about their computers: distro, graphics card, etc,... (if the user decides to supply this information, of course)

We considered this on and off a while ago, to me it adds unessicary clutter to the page and makes it even harder to read some post's, whatever information is relivent should be included in the question, adding just a ton of extranious information will push the left colum over considerably, shrinking the 'readable' post area, which is where our attention should be focused.

My $0.02
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Quote Originally Posted by kkubasik
    We considered this on and off a while ago, to me it adds unessicary clutter to the page and makes it even harder to read some post's, whatever information is relivent should be included in the question, adding just a ton of extranious information will push the left colum over considerably, shrinking the 'readable' post area, which is where our attention should be focused.

My $0.02
    I'm with kkubasik on this one. I personally think even the "Distro:" part of what's on our posts now is extraneous information, so adding computer specs (when a lot of us have these in our signatures anyway) would just clutter the already cluttered space up more.

I'd be all for adding this to our profile information though, just not anywhere that would clutter up our posts.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I'd be all for adding this to our profile information though, just not anywhere that would clutter up our posts.
    I'm all for this. It makes it much easier to help out someone when you have easy access to their system specs.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    this is what i meant
    the screenshot i posted is from my profile, not from a thread or post. i agree with you and kkubasik that this would clutter a thread or post far too much, but i think it would be nice to have in peoples' profiles. that would possibly lessen how much we would see in their posts/threads, since the user would no longer need to add their own information at the beginning of a thread stating what their system specs, distro, WM/DE, etc. are