Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Could you maybe consider setting some sticky threads to regular? For example there are like 8 sticky threads in the coffee lounge alone. Most of us probably wouldn't even consider ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sticky posts

Could you maybe consider setting some sticky threads to regular? For example there are like 8 sticky threads in the coffee lounge alone. Most of us probably wouldn't even consider posting in half of them, yet the 8 of them are always there no matter which page you go to. I also think that this makes it unfair for other members whos threads and opinions cannot be made as special.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_The_Lionhearted
    Could you maybe consider setting some sticky threads to regular? For example there are like 8 sticky threads in the coffee lounge alone. Most of us probably wouldn't even consider posting in half of them, yet the 8 of them are always there no matter which page you go to. I also think that this makes it unfair for other members whos threads and opinions cannot be made as special.
    I tend to agree. I realize that [whoever] may want to encourage people to participate in the various polls - and I suppose that is OK -- but, I personally think it would be nice if perhaps there were a special place for the polls - so that people could find them easily if they wanted to - but otherwise, they wouldn't take up so much space... The only kind of thread that should be made a "sticky" should be one that is of major importance to everyone on the forum. Individual importance is handled nicely by the subscription feature. Just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRoot
    I tend to agree. I realize that [whoever] may want to encourage people to participate in the various polls - and I suppose that is OK -- but, I personally think it would be nice if perhaps there were a special place for the polls - so that people could find them easily if they wanted to - but otherwise, they wouldn't take up so much space... The only kind of thread that should be made a "sticky" should be one that is of major importance to everyone on the forum. Individual importance is handled nicely by the subscription feature. Just my two cents...
    I too have noticed that the amount of stickies in the Coffee Lounge is getting bothersome. I myself stickied most of them (all the polls for instance). Perhaps a separate "Polls" section would be useful? I think it would be best to make this a place to move particularly popular polls created in the Coffee Lounge, but not allow regular users to make new threads, only add on to the existing polls.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Perhaps a separate "Polls" section would be useful? I think it would be best to make this a place to move particularly popular polls created in the Coffee Lounge, but not allow regular users to make new threads, only add on to the existing polls.
    Yes, that is the type of thing I was thinking about...

What does everyone think about this idea -- possibly for all forums, but certainly for the Coffee Lounge even if nowhere else:

At the top of the forum thread listing is a single sticky post (with an appropriate title that encourages people to check the post before posting) that lists relevant threads that have been moved to a "special place" (not necessarily the same place) for such threads (along with links) -- poll threads could go in a "polls" section/area/forum - threads for/about special things like techieMoe's personal web site could go in a/the "contributed by members" section/area/forum - and there might be other types of moved/referenced/etc. threads as well -- it would "clean up" the thread listings a bit...

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRoot
    What does everyone think about this idea -- possibly for all forums, but certainly for the Coffee Lounge even if nowhere else:

At the top of the forum thread listing is a single sticky post (with an appropriate title that encourages people to check the post before posting) that lists relevant threads that have been moved to a "special place" (not necessarily the same place) for such threads (along with links) -- poll threads could go in a "polls" section/area/forum - threads for/about special things like techieMoe's personal web site could go in a/the "contributed by members" section/area/forum - and there might be other types of moved/referenced/etc. threads as well -- it would "clean up" the thread listings a bit...

Just a thought...
    An interesting idea. I'm for anything that could move the sticky clutter out, myself. So long as I was still able to direct folks who inevitably started yet another "which distro/gender/desktop/ice cream do you like?" thread to the appropriate link.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    So long as I was still able to direct folks who inevitably started yet another "which distro/gender/desktop/ice cream do you like?" thread to the appropriate link.
    Perhaps the title of the "special posts" sticky thread could/would be something like:

Special Threads - Polls, Questionaires, etc. - Please read before posting...

In the thread would be a post for each poll/questionaire/etc. containing a link...

// thinking "Where is all of this leading?"...

Maybe there should simply be a "special posts" forum for polls, questionaires, etc...

I think a "special" section might be a good idea. I agree with the original poster that having all those stickies at the top of the Coffee Lounge makes it cluttered, particularly for those who have no interest in the Polls or have already answered them long ago.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 03-17-2006 at 12:38 PM.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    I think you could always make a single sticky thread called "POLLS" with all of the links to the various polls...and make the rest of the polls normal threads. this way, they are still easily accessible (within this thread) but aren't always on top as individual stickies themselves

Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    I think you could always make a single sticky thread called "POLLS" with all of the links to the various polls...and make the rest of the polls normal threads. this way, they are still easily accessible (within this thread) but aren't always on top as individual stickies themselves
    That is a wonderful idea, and it's actually one I can implement immediately. I'll get right on that.

::EDIT:: Done. A much more elegant solution in my book. Thanks.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 03-17-2006 at 12:39 PM.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast