Find the answer to your Linux question:
Any reason why this post disappeared? I posted it and I saw it in the Coffee lounge forum a few mins later, but the next day it was gone....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Deleted "The morality of open source"

Any reason why this post disappeared? I posted it and I saw it in the Coffee lounge forum a few mins later, but the next day it was gone.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by alancooney
    Any reason why this post disappeared? I posted it and I saw it in the Coffee lounge forum a few mins later, but the next day it was gone.
    I don't remember who deleted it but do remember seeing the reason for deletion being stated as "potential flame bait".

oz
    oz

Linux Engineer
    What was the exact issue that you raised. I'm always interested in a good debate...could you pm me the particulars, then maybe we can get it worded so that mods will leave it be.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    The thing is, why not delete the flames rather than the OP? I know its a sticky topic but surely its one that needs discussion.

In the post, for those of you that didn't see it, I showed a the detrimental affect open source probably has on the capitalist free market, and related it to higher unemployment and increased crime rates.

So yes it is a bit 'controversial', but I certainly won't deviate to a highly subjective flame, and instead I would rely on my more objective classical economic education. So what specifically is wrong with that?

Can you guys put the thread back? I mean, wouldn't you want to know if I am right?

It seems the thread was removed for 2 reasons: "flame bait" (and "negativity") (please read our rules for explanation). The thread in question will not be brought back (at least not by me or the other moderators I've asked), since we agreed uppon that the thread in question is violating the 2 sections of our rules mentioned above.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux Newbie
    I've read your rules and it doesn't contradict with them except possibly negativity. Either way, if you are not prepared to have an open discussion about the morality of what you are doing, then that is extremely sad. Not only that, but that attitude in general is extremely dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by alancooney
    I've read your rules and it doesn't contradict with them except possibly negativity.
    You apparently missed this line:

This is done entirely at the discretion of the moderator, who may remove your ... posts when (s)he feels they do not comply with these rules or are unacceptable in some other way. Moderators are not obliged to send you a private message or email to inform you that an action has been taken.
    It is the job of the Moderators and Administrators of this forum to interpret the rules as they feel will best suit the forum as a whole, not yours. I've said this before: if you don't agree with the rules, you're perfectly welcome to go somewhere else.

Either way, if you are not prepared to have an open discussion about the morality of what you are doing, then that is extremely sad. Not only that, but that attitude in general is extremely dangerous.
    This forum was started to offer people help with the Linux operating system. It's not a political forum, and most of us aren't interested in any discussion (open or otherwise) about morality, religion, politics, etc, etc. If you are, there are plenty of forums that support and even encourage that sort of thing. We are not one of them.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants