Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
heer is an extract of my recent chat with big-k on irc: <variant> hey big_k <variant> how about an auto responder for messages that go unanswerd on linuxforums.org? <variant> after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

auto responder for unanswerd posts

heer is an extract of my recent chat with big-k on irc:

<variant> hey big_k
    <variant> how about an auto responder for messages that go unanswerd on linuxforums.org?
    <variant> after like 2 weeks a message is auto posted in reply saying sorry but noone seems able to answer your query at the momment
    <variant> or something
    <big_k> variant post your idea in the "Site News / Comments / Feedback / Suggestions" section
    <big_k> it seems like a good idea or even if it posts a bump message the first time and then posts a sorry message like a week later

you guys think this is a good idea?

Linux Newbie
    I dont think its nessary, I havent seen any unanswered posts and theres always the "view unanswered posts" button.
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Whats the point of draging a 2 week old message back to the top of the forum just to display a sorry for no reply message? The message will more then likely have been answerd if posible IMO.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    there are over 500 unanswerd posts..

perhaps unanswed posts should be moved to an unanswerd posts section ??

I wonder how many are good questions Is there really a point to add a forum for unanswerd posts? I just dont see any point in replying to old topics that are forgoten.

Linux Engineer
    in the past i have seen topics posted again 2 or three weeks later by the people who did not receive an answer the first time. I think that when it is moved to the "unanswerd posts" forum people might take a quick look in there to see if it was anything they had previously missed. kind of a "dead letter office". If it turns out to be a total failure then so be it.. but it equaly might prove quite usefull!

If they are forgotton posts then nothing is lost by moveing them, in fact it would keep the other categorys nice and titdy.. if the user has given up on trying to find an answer elsewhere then it would give the question a second chance. It is just a suggestion.

Welll here's one it seams Dolda will eventualy get to thoes...he got to one from 3 mos. ago.....
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    Welll here's one it seams Dolda will eventualy get to thoes...he got to one from 3 mos. ago.....
    It shouldnt be left to one person to answer everyones questions, and IMO a large number of unanswered questions does 2 things: 1) looks bad, 2) delays searching for an answer if you have to read unanswered questions.

Jason

Linux Guru
    I think something like this would be a good idea. Sometimes when I'm answering posts, I'm in a hurry and leave some posts in the hope that someone else will get them, which, of course, doesn't always happen. Then I forget them (since they are no longer yellow).

I think this would be one good thing to fix that. Another really good thing would a function like "mark this message" that I can press to mark it green or something until I unmark it.

Well the best way IMO would be a seperate section??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast